Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Filter Help for my 75 Gallon Tank

I was considering getting a Marineland C 36o Canister filter? I currently use a bio wheel Marineland 160 b. I have heard that the lack of bio wheel in the canister would be not as effective as the tank hangers that have them. Is this correct or are the canisters effective as the older bio wheels. Also any recommendations on canisters would be helpful. My tank is going to be 75 gallons with one Pleco at this time in it.

Please respond for my Pleco's sake Thanks

Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't worry about the lack of a bio-wheel. The principle of the biowheel is sound but they really aren't big enough to make any difference. You'd need an enormous one which isn't terribly practical.

You'll love a canister. I switched from an AquaClear 70 HOB to a Rena Filstar XP3 on my 55 and it is great. Easy to clean, no waterfall noise and no hulking filter on the back of the tank.

I am not familiar with the Marineland canisters, hopefully someone who has one can chime in here. I have two Filstars (an XP2 and an XP3). I have heard many good things about the Eheim and Fluval canisters as well.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think cannisters are the way to go on larger tanks. The BIO wheel is a marketing thing as many that have CO2 injected tanks remove the bio wheel and it still works good.

The Eheims seem to be top dog of the cannister filters, then Rena Fillstars were cheap and a good filter(now they are more $$). I just got a Fluval and like it while there are people who have probs with them. For the price I could not pass it up.
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have two fluvials and love them, a 304 on my 55 and the FX5 on my 125. I take out the media and use purigen.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, 75 gallon tank, filter, filter help, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com