Filter Help for my 75 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bemgolf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was considering getting a Marineland C 36o Canister filter? I currently use a bio wheel Marineland 160 b. I have heard that the lack of bio wheel in the canister would be not as effective as the tank hangers that have them. Is this correct or are the canisters effective as the older bio wheels. Also any recommendations on canisters would be helpful. My tank is going to be 75 gallons with one Pleco at this time in it.

Please respond for my Pleco's sake Thanks

:n00b:

I wouldn't worry about the lack of a bio-wheel. The principle of the biowheel is sound but they really aren't big enough to make any difference. You'd need an enormous one which isn't terribly practical.

You'll love a canister. I switched from an AquaClear 70 HOB to a Rena Filstar XP3 on my 55 and it is great. Easy to clean, no waterfall noise and no hulking filter on the back of the tank.

I am not familiar with the Marineland canisters, hopefully someone who has one can chime in here. I have two Filstars (an XP2 and an XP3). I have heard many good things about the Eheim and Fluval canisters as well.

I think cannisters are the way to go on larger tanks. The BIO wheel is a marketing thing as many that have CO2 injected tanks remove the bio wheel and it still works good.

The Eheims seem to be top dog of the cannister filters, then Rena Fillstars were cheap and a good filter(now they are more $$). I just got a Fluval and like it while there are people who have probs with them. For the price I could not pass it up.

I have two fluvials and love them, a 304 on my 55 and the FX5 on my 125. I take out the media and use purigen.

Back
Top Bottom