Fish acting weird! PLEASE HELP.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you sure you're not mixing the 2 up ? Like you're testing nitrites but misunderstanding it for nitrates, the nitrite test is 5 drops and one bottle, Nitrate is 10 drops and is 2 bottles.

Are you sure you're not mixing the 2 up ? Like you're testing nitrites but misunderstanding it for nitrates, the nitrite test is 5 drops and one bottle, Nitrate is 10 drops and is 2 bottles.
Here's the test from most important to least
Ammonia
Nitrite
Ph
Nitrate
Some people will say Nitrate is more important than ph but fluctuations in ph are more detrimental than higher nitr(A)tes

Did you condition the new water with prime? I know you said you don't like the smell but it's the most crucial part of a water change, that and temperature matching the water.

No, I know the difference of the 2. Nitrates were between 20 and 40 and nitrites and ammonia (as of today) were 0

Okay stop worrying about nitrates 20-40 is perfect, mine has gotten over 100 with no problems the main 2 is ammonia and nitrite, what's your ph?

Are you treating the water with prime or did you switch, are you temp matching

Right now I'm using up what's left of my API Tap Water Conditioner

And I use a python water changer when doing water changes so it's kind of hard to match the temp

And I use a python water changer when doing water changes so it's kind of hard to match the temp
Moving forward, let the water run through "drain" with the valve closed until you have the right temperature. Then, when you fill, your temperature will match.

Of course. That's why I suggested it going forward. I use a python, too.

Right now I'd say your looking at either water shock issues or parasites.

Plus when using a python you condition for the whole volume of the tank not just the water your putting in, also you can temp match that's what the valve on the bottom is for, the python could be the main issue theres a lot of things you have to do with the python you want to fill it back up slowly, with it at the very top so the water can gas off, I'm not an expert with them but I know there's a lot of people that do not like them

Do you have an air stone in there? If so turn it up open your lid a bit, I honestly do not know

Yes, I have an air stone and I always refill my tank slowly

And once I'm done with my API Tap Water Conditioner I'll buy Prime

Here they are after the water change I just didIMG_4947.JPGIMG_4951.JPG

how old is your tank?
was the tank fully cycled correctly?
do you test for chlorine?
how old is your test kit ?
do you shake the bottle before use?
you could be getting a false reading api test kits are good for that .
reading through the thread and seeing how the fish are up top gasping for air
I will assume they are also lethargic
I would aim towards ammonia poisoning , it seems the most logical as how the fish are acting , 50% water change but test water before you add it, could have a trace of chlorine depending where your located.

Last edited:
how old is your tank?
was the tank fully cycled correctly?
do you test for chlorine?
how old is your test kit ?
do you shake the bottle before use?
you could be getting a false reading api test kits are good for that .
reading through the thread and seeing how the fish are up top gasping for air
I will assume they are also lethargic
I would aim towards ammonia poisoning , it seems the most logical as how the fish are acting , 50% water change but test water before you add it, could have a trace of chlorine depending where your located.

was the tank fully cycled correctly? Yes, it's been established for a year.
do you test for chlorine? I don't have any way to test for chlorine.
how old is your test kit? It's good until 2020.
do you shake the bottle before use? I shake Bottle #2 of nitrates.

I tested the water this morning before doing a water change and nitrites and ammonia were 0.

Recover from what? My water parameters are good.

Back
Top Bottom