Fish and music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

horsedogfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
My husband bought me a turntable for Christmas so day before yesterday I put a record on. It was a little loud but not house rattling. The next day my ctenopoma was belly up. Do fish prefer silence to music? Can I play my LPs softly? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I dont think fish generally care but who knows. My tank is right below my TV, and tho we barely watch television nor loud you would think it might spook them but honestly they care less.

Bass tho is different (I play bass) and the waves travel is heavy vibrations can be felt externally and internally that may actually bother the fish if t was close. But you would have to have some HEAVY bass in a very cramped space.

Personally I call coincidence.
When I was looking to build my next aquarium (debating since seeing the actual price of acrylic) I wanted to place some TINY speakers in it to play soft music. Thought it would be nice with the view. Plus you always hear animals and plants like soft classical music so it was sort of an experiment.

Sound is vibration, vibrations can startle fish, drop the bass?? Drop a fish....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sound is vibration, vibrations can startle fish, drop the bass?? Drop a fish....

Lol

So no dubstep for my mollies.... Mollies for my mollies lol

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never had a problem with mine handling some loud music. Whether it's coming from my tuner/receiver or if I'm crunching power chords or scales thru my amp.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

last night we were watching Chopped on tv. We dont have cable cause we're cord cutters so we use online services.
Point of the story is one of the downfalls is sometimes when you are utilizing the internet to watch tv commercials dont adhere to the sound regulation. A commercial popped on SO LOUD i had to mute the television. Almost blew us off the couch.
My fish didnt even move nor seem to care

I once pushed the areation cap down whilst an internal filter was under the water, to me it was a sound of a little pop as the cap closed but my goldies acted like a bomb had gone off and darted . I wouldn't do it again. But I found it amusing.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Occasionally I'll imbibe in a libation or two while carrying out my routine maintanence... if that bottle hits the top to hard the tetras freak right out. .o could see how one could be inured whack ing it's noggin against the glass. Corys seem more sensitive too these type disturbances as well..
I hate rogue commercials! Ahhh.. throw the clicker at the TV and hide under the pillows. .

I have a 60g next to a TV that frequently has video games and Netflix playing on it without trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom