Fish will not school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelastasian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought 7 red minor tetras and 6 high black fin tetras and put them in my tank yesterday and they won't school together and I don't know why

I also have a pitbull Pleco and a Platy and one other fish I can't identify right now.

It takes a few days for them to settle in. Do you have a picture of the mystery fish?

Schooling Tetras

Hello thelast...

Tetras school for protection. If they don't feel threatened, they naturally swim in a looser group. You must have a very comfortable tank, with good water conditions. The fish don't perceive a problem.

I'd say keep up the good work.

B

Hello thelast...

Tetras school for protection. If they don't feel threatened, they naturally swim in a looser group. You must have a very comfortable tank, with good water conditions. The fish don't perceive a problem.

I'd say keep up the good work.

B

Ok I just thought they were supposed to school. I wish they would but oh well

same thing is happening to my neon tetras. i got 13 neon tetras about 1 month ago. as of today, they still don't school together

You think if I put four female betas in they'd school

betas really don't affect the schooling fish. if anything, they threaten and stress out the fish and might cause them to move together if that's what you're referring to. but in the long run, i wouldn't put four bettas in the same tank, just my two cents

It really depends on how big you tank is and the female bettas shouldn't harass the other fish to much

I just bought 7 red minor tetras and 6 high black fin tetras and put them in my tank yesterday and they won't school together and I don't know why

That's odd. Try to get odd #'s of schoolers they seem to do better that way..

My tetras never or barely schooled. When I re did the tank to kind of mimic the wild; they started schooling. They don’t school all the time but I find that they school just b4 or after feeding time and small water changes. The tank is low ph about 6.1 the temp is 27celcius. I believe that they will school when threatened, but also when they are happy.

Back
Top Bottom