Fishless Cycle / Healthy Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KOOGS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If the fishless cycle is to prevent the fishe from being permanently damaged, then my question is, when we go out to buy fish from the pet store, how do we know if THEY fishless cycled their tank so that THEIR fish are not sick? Furthermore, how do we/they know if their supplier fishless cycled their tank? In other words, my concern is, how do we know the background of the fish we buy to put in our healthy fishless cycled tanks?

we dont know that,but its better for the fish to go through 1 fish in cycle than 2

I can tell you that pretty much every fish supplier/store I know does not fishless cycle their tanks. Mostly because its unnecessary for them to do so.

Fishless cycling does not = healthy fish. Fishless cycling just helps avoid new tank syndrome, in which fish can possibly be exposed to toxic levels of nitrogenous waste.

That said, this can be avoided through other means (knowledge is power, here), fishless cycling is not the only way to do things.

A bigger concern would be disease/parasites brought in by wild caught fish, and to know whether a supplier does proper quarantining, well, that just takes some research. The reputable ones do, though, because it wouldn't make business sense as a supplier to avoid treating sickly/dying fish, and then risk exposing other healthy ones.

My other assumption would be that most chain stores, lfs's, breeders, etc...have had their tanks set up for months or years and the tanks have been cycled for substantial amounts of times.

As jeta said, wild caught is a different story and the way they are acclimated when they are delivered could also make a difference.

I also agree that fishless cycling does not guarantee healthy fish in any way. A cycled tank would cause less stress IMO making them less prone to stress and disease, but that's a different story all together.

Question

Would it be good they to buy smaller fish (in terms of age) because they have most likely been introduced to a cycled tank versus a fish thats been alive and possible been introduced to a new tank in the beginning? My thing is I dont want to buy fish with burnt out gills from new tank syndrome.

Just take extra measure to see how the LFS takes care of their fish. Signs of ammonia poisoning are pretty evident. But LFS generally do not have an issue with new tank syndrome.

Sometimes when fish are shipped in (from overseas in particular), they spend so much time in shipping that they begin to suffer some toxin stress. If people ever saw what these shipping bags look like, hundreds of fish per bag often times, you probably wouldn't ever buy imported fish again.

Ammonia Poisoning

gotcha jet but can you give me some info of the signs of ammonia poisoning?

Compatibility

When my 55 gallon tank is cycled I want to add:

4 clown loaches
2 flame gourami
2 dwarf gourami
1 red tail shark
1 pleco
6 cardinal tetras

1. Are these compatible?
2. Can anyone recommend other colorful fish to add?

Back
Top Bottom