Fishless Cycle Params - Please Review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegundog

Aquarium Advice Freak
55 Gallon - FW - Fishless Cycle with Ammonia

Started cycle 02-04-12 dosing with ammonia to 4.0

Today's readings:

AMMONIA - 4.0

NITRITES - 5.0 (somewhere from 2.0 to 5.0 hard to tell difference) for sure it's the deep purple 2.0 -5.0

NITRATES - 40.0 - 80.0 I just can't tell the difference, it's deep red

PH: 8.0

TEMP: 80F

Should I do a water change to reduce the NO2 and NO3 or leave as is?

Thanks!

Leave it as is the only time you need to do one during fishless cycling is at the end before you add fish or if you went nuts with ammonia and it is like 15 ppm

Thanks - I've read that too high in the NO2 and NO3 department can stall a cycle and that a water change will restore buffers and water nutrients.

You didnt mention your ph. Ph is critical to fishless cycles. If it starts dropping as your buffers are used up in the nitritfication process, your ph will crash. Once it hits 6.5, conversion will slow. At 6, it stops completely. Make sure you monitor your ph daily for changes- if it starts to drop or jump, a big water change is in order to re-establish buffers to your water. Otherwise, things look good!!! :)

Thanks - I've read that too high in the NO2 and NO3 department can stall a cycle and that a water change will restore buffers and water nutrients.

I wouldnt be too concened about high nitrites yet as your are less than 2 wks into your cycle. If your nitrites are sky high for longer than 2wks with no change, then a couple of water changes may be in order to bring them down to a readable level (@2 or less). Its been my experience that excessively high nitrites will slow or stall a cycle but at what level this occurs, I do not know because a high-range nitrite test does not exist for general public use. Because you are already seeing nitrates, I wouldnt worry! :)

Good advice, I was kinda surprised to see NO2 & NO3 so soon, I really wasn't expecting it....

Watching the ph is critical and from what I understand when it drops you are getting very close. So I'll monitor it daily.

My ph is: 8.0

You ph is fine and IMO it only has to be tested once a week it rarely crashes

This actually is not true. We have had quite a few members whose ph not only crashed but crashed on a daily basis. It makes cycling is bit more trying but certainly not impossible. Its much easier to prevent a crash by daily monitoring for changes & doing a water change if they start to occur then to wait for your bb to recover from a ph shock if one happens. :)

Oh I cycled multiple tanks and never had an issue and neither has anyone in my family could it be the water in the area or the specific ph.

Oh I cycled multiple tanks and never had an issue and neither has anyone in my family could it be the water in the area or the specific ph.

Everybodys water is a bit different & we only test for the most basic things in fw (amm/nitrite/nitrate/ph). That leaves alot of unknown variables that we have to take into consideration. Monitoring the basics daily (such as ph) atleast gives us a general idea of where things are headed & can prevent a potential problem. :)

UPDATED PARAMS: 02-13-12

AMMONIA: .25

NITRITE: 5.0 (Maybe 2.0 it's dark purple)

NITRATE: 10 (Maybe 20, but it's defiently that shade - not red)

I'm gonna go ahead and bring my ammonia back up to 4.0.....

Let me know if you see anything unusual

UPDATED PARAMS - 02-14-2012

AMMONIA - .00

NITRITES - 5.0 (somewhere from 2.0 to 5.0 hard to tell difference) for sure it's the deep purple 2.0 -5.0

NITRATES - 10.0

TEMP: 80F

I think I'm getting pretty close the tank ate up 4.0 in ammonia over night, should I do a water change to remove the Nitrites and see how things go?

Thanks!

Don't do a water change to remove nitrites the tank must do that on its own keep adding ammo until you have zero ammo and nitrites

I would wait a bit before considering a water change- your still fairly early on here & you still have great forward progression. If we dont see any movement from the nitrite>nitrate phase in another week, then a water change will probably be in order. Or if your ph starts to change- then a water change is def necessary. Keep us posted! :)

Have another little question/concern...

I have to go out of town for a few days this week and I won't have anyone to monitor my cycle.

Any suggestions?

I've heard of people using frozen grocery store shrimp in a bio bag floated in your water as a way to supply ammonia during a fishless cycle, that might hold your bacteria over till you get back, no way to know how much or little ammonia they would produce, but it would be better than nothing, right?

Back
Top Bottom