Fishless cycle question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long, after you out the pure ammonia in the tank, does it start to decline in the ppms?? I put in about 4-5 ppm of ammonia in about a week ago and it has yet to decrease. I wasn't sure how long it usually takes!

How long, after you out the pure ammonia in the tank, does it start to decline in the ppms?? I put in about 4-5 ppm of ammonia in about a week ago and it has yet to decrease. I wasn't sure how long it usually takes!

It can take anywhere from a few days to weeks. Adding some filter media from an already established tank helps speed it up. High temps 88 and lots of oxygen also helps the bb populate faster.

It can take anywhere from a few days to weeks. Adding some filter media from an already established tank helps speed it up. High temps 88 and lots of oxygen also helps the bb populate faster.

Ah ok, well I don't have an established tank but I did just turn my heater up a little bit, my tank was at 82 F. Thank you!!

Ah ok, well I don't have an established tank but I did just turn my heater up a little bit, my tank was at 82 F. Thank you!!

You could also get some seachem stability notamy believe in these but it kept my severely overstocked ten gallon in good shape.

Adds bacteria to the tank.

I'm waiting on my filter to arrive, I was planing on adding the substrate after I start my cycle, is that going to be a problem?

Only because I'm still looking around for substrate.

New setup
16g guppy tank
Eheim 2213 canister filter

I'm waiting on my filter to arrive, I was planing on adding the substrate after I start my cycle, is that going to be a problem?

Only because I'm still looking around for substrate.

New setup
16g guppy tank
Eheim 2213 canister filter

Shouldn't be it could slow it down a tad as here won't be as large of a surface for the bb to colonize but 80-90% of it is in your filter anyway.

Adds bacteria to the tank.

Ok, so the seachem stability came in, however on the bottle it doesn't say how much for a 55 or 60 gallon tank?? I was wandering if you knew how much to put in! I'm trying to bring the ammonia levels down so I can put this stability in!

its one capful for every 10 gallons on the first day so for a 55 its 5,5 caps
for everyday after that for the first week its one cap for every 20 gallons so its 2,25 caps
After that you are done.

I only add a few caps to my 55 or 29 when I add new stock.

its one capful for every 10 gallons on the first day so for a 55 its 5,5 caps
for everyday after that for the first week its one cap for every 20 gallons so its 2,25 caps
After that you are done.

I only add a few caps to my 55 or 29 when I add new stock.

Oh ok cool thanks!!

One last thing, can I turn my water temp back to normal or do I still need to leave it relatively high, around 84 F, for the bacteria to grow, and do I pour it into the tank itself or the filter?

One last thing, can I turn my water temp back to normal or do I still need to leave it relatively high, around 84 F, for the bacteria to grow, and do I pour it into the tank itself or the filter?

I'd leave the temp up. When I fishless cycled I had it at 87 and was done in three weeks. I'd dump the stability in the filter.

I'd leave the temp up. When I fishless cycled I had it at 87 and was done in three weeks. I'd dump the stability in the filter.

Oh ok, so everything else I do is the same, like testing nitrites and stuff until there is <20 nitrates??? And I already put the stuff in but I dumped it into the tank, will it still be alright??

Oh ok, so everything else I do is the same, like testing nitrites and stuff until there is <20 nitrates??? And I already put the stuff in but I dumped it into the tank, will it still be alright??

Yeah it will be fine. It basically just slightly speeds up the cycle. You don't have to do anything differently.

Can someone identify this for me?? I can't tell if its 4 or not but its been the same for 2 weeks..

Attachments

• image-244148758.jpg
    image-244148758.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 42
  • image-3678555929.jpg
    image-3678555929.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom