fishless cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmathis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a tank that has been fishless cycled for about a week and I have just been adding ammonia everyday to keep the bacteria alive. Ammonia and nitrite were at zero, and after my big water change nitrates droped to 10.

Now all of a sudden this afternoon I have .1 Nitrite!

What could cause this? What should I do now?

Thanks!

You may have dosed a little more ammonia than usual. I personally woiuldn't be to concerned about it. There is the + or - error factor for the test and .1 isn't that much. Just monitor it for a couple days.

what are all your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, temp)?

what test kit are you using?

liquid test kit or strips?

are you dosing 4 ppm of ammonia daily or some other consistant amount?

how long has the tank been cycling for?

I have a tank that has been fishless cycled for about a week and I have just been adding ammonia everyday to keep the bacteria alive. Ammonia and nitrite were at zero, and after my big water change nitrates droped to 10.

I took this to mean the tank was believed to have finished cycling a week ago because of the stated big water change, and past tense of cycled.

Yes, that was correct Jim, It has been finished cycling for 1 week.

They are liquid drop test kits with he glass viles. And I have been using 1 drop of ammonia the same size everyday.

Thanks

I was going to add red cherry shrimp, would it have hurt them if they were in there when this happened?

Should I put some hardy fish in there for a week or so before adding the shrimp?

Do you intend to stock with anything other than cherry shrimp? If so I would add the fish first since they will create more of a bio load than the shrimp. I would add the shrimp last.

If cherry shrimp are all you are going to be stocking, I'd check my levels to see which way they are going for a couple of days before adding them.

Cherry shrimp are supposed to be pretty sensitive to water quality. If you're confident that the cycle is complete, I'd add some fish first and let the tank get established.

Back
Top Bottom