Fluval 306 sucking fish into intake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,
I have a Fluval 306 in a 56 gallon freshwater tank. The tank is cycled and I've been slowly adding fish. I've started with a large school of neon tetras. Unfortunately, on several occasions, I've found the poor little guys sucked up into the filter and then they, subsequently, died. Can anyone give me some easy DIY ideas on safe ways to cover the filter intake until they get big enough to swim away or not get sucked up? I have adjusted the filter water flow lever in the hopes of slowing down the water flow and therefore slowing down the intake, but I'd like to prevent this even further, if possible.

Thanks!

Have you noticed any problems with any fish before they get sucked up? Funny swimming or trouble swimming?

Have you noticed any problems with any fish before they get sucked up? Funny swimming or trouble swimming?

No, and I keep a pretty close eye on them when home. So far, they tend to hang out behind the plants in the tank, but I figure that's because they are still adjusting. I have roughly 35 of them in there and no other fish, yet. When it's feeding time, they all come out and feed readily.

I have heard of people putting panty hose over intakes before. Just secure it on with a rubber band. Haven't tried if myself, but it sounds easy enough.

Yeah you can use pantyhose or get a prefilter sponge or just cut a filter sponge to fit snugly if you have some lying around

Healthy fish can easily avoid the intake of your filter. Fish that get stuck there are more than likely weakened from stress or disease. It can be difficult to find healthy neons.

I second/third the sick fish notion. Especially with the fish in question being neons. I've had a 406 running for a while now and never had anyone get stuck. I've kept some small tetras and cories in there too.

Thanks to everyone that responded. I think you guys were all right that they may have been a little unhealthy. The ones that have survived seem very strong and healthy. I ended up getting a media bag and tying it around the intake for the moment, just in case. Out of curiosity, do you guys have other schooling fish you prefer? You mentioned its hard to get healthy nanos.

Rummynose are nice. I also like the ornate tetras, lemon tetras or you could get barbs. There are loads of colorful ones out there.

I'm a fan of tetras, I've kept lemons, diamonds, von rios, neons, bleeding heart, and I'm sure a few others I'm forgetting. I think I've always had a larger bodied tetra (diamond, lemons, etc) in one of my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom