Fluval Spec owners help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spartin718

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I am having a hard time keeping the filter clean in my spec 16 gallon. Specifically in the first chamber at the bottom. I vacuum in there but every time I do a water change the detris at the bottom chamber gets pushed back into the main display tank when refilling it. So my question is has anyone completely sealed off the bottom grate and how is that working for you?:dance:

Thanks so much in advance:thanks:

Following, since I'm going to set up a Spec V.

(I do recall reading of people blocking that lower port, I think to keep betta's fins from getting stuck to it, but that's a vague memory.)

I have the tools to completely block off the bottom grate. You just use aquarium glue or locklite super glue along with a piece of strong plastic . I am attaching a couple if pics to help out. The plastic tube needs to be cut vertically and then it will fit the grate perfectly. Dab some glue on all the corners and stick it over the grate. If that is the way you choose to go. I haven't really received any responses so I'm going to just go ahead and block it off. I'll let you know how it works for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot (97).jpg
    Screenshot (97).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot (98).jpg
    Screenshot (98).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Following, since I'm going to set up a Spec V.

(I do recall reading of people blocking that lower port, I think to keep betta's fins from getting stuck to it, but that's a vague memory.)

To avoid baby shrimp getting sucked into the filter, I used silicone in my Spec V. I have a sponge across the overflow too.

Yes that was one of my concerns as well. I did have a few red flame tetras slide through the grate into the chamber. Did you mean you completely blocked off the bottom grate? I did have a piece of sponge inside the grate blocker on the bottom to baffle the flow but everytime I take the sponge out all the way from the bottom, half of what the sponge absorbed get's lost in the water on the way up. Thanks so very much for your reply:)))

Would it be possible for you to post a pic of your grates? I would sincerely appreciate it but if you can't no worries t all:))

Back
Top Bottom