Foam under 55 or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
read so many mixed opinions on using foam under tanks with trim. Should I use foam under a 50/55g tank? The stand is home made and is pretty level but not perfect. How thick should the foam be if I do use it?

Thanks. Anyone else?

Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.

I don't see why. The tank is most likely tempered glass, so it can take the weight of the water in the tank.

I am glad this topic came up I was just thinking about this myself as I am about to hardscape my 55. I am thinking I will add foam just to give me some peace of mind as I will be adding a few larger pieces of stone.

Having worked with tempered glass in doors it's been my experience that it's weak point is on the edge. On the flat side it's very strong withstanding brut force for it to fail. Just watch a dumbest criminals show where they try to brake a store front glass.

True, tempered glass does have a weak point, but unless you are going to drop a 50 pound rock in, you don't need it :)

I would be more concerned about creating pressure on the silicon seals that they werent designed for than the glass breaking

I don't even use foam under my 75 gallon; I've never had an issue in the 3 years or so it's been running. I find I'm more likely to drop the tank and break it if I'm attempting to place it down on top of the foam, so in my case it's more dangerous than going without the foam in the first place ;)

Back
Top Bottom