Food Service ALUMINUM FOIL SHEETS as Light Reflector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kunthan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I last week changed by Aquarium lighting to 4X54WT5 connected to 2XPhilips Ballast for by 90 Gallon tank ( DIY).

Currently working on doing a Light Reflector, as of not all side of the canopy is painted with While.

Is it advisable Food Service ALUMINUM FOIL SHEETS as Light Reflector, so i can Past it all 4 side to escape light getting wastly reflected.

Please Share your advise...

I would use flat white paint, reflects something like 4-8% more and you won't have to worry about hot spots. You could also use something like a sheet of 2mm thick mylar. Also don't forget the angle of incidence equals the angle of refraction

Jesse

I would use flat white paint, reflects something like 4-8% more and you won't have to worry about hot spots. You could also use something like a sheet of 2mm thick mylar. Also don't forget the angle of incidence equals the angle of refraction

Jesse

thaaks for Replying :)

It is Already Painted with White but is it 3 inch away from the light, So was planning to put a refraction.

Is mylar simillar Emergency blankets, bec i have one whihc i havent used for years...

I am planning a reflector like U shape, i guess it will be best angle for refraction. or do u suggest any other shape or any idea...

Yes emergency blankets are typically mylar.
You could make your reflector from whatever material you prefer, and simply paint it flat/matte white, or cover it with the mylar. Mylar may have a slightly more reflective ability than both flat white paint, and aluminum foil, BUT, at the same time the white paint will reflect the full spectrum being produced where as the others will not. I would do the flat white paint myself

Jesse

Also, when it comes down to making DIY lighting for an aquarium, especially things like this, I have found marijuana grow forums to be very helpful (surprisingly).

Jesse

What are you hoping for with this light? Just a viewing light or are you attempting to grow plants?

Yes emergency blankets are typically mylar.
You could make your reflector from whatever material you prefer, and simply paint it flat/matte white, or cover it with the mylar. Mylar may have a slightly more reflective ability than both flat white paint, and aluminum foil, BUT, at the same time the white paint will reflect the full spectrum being produced where as the others will not. I would do the flat white paint myself

Jesse

(y) Thanks hensleyjk,

Nice to know that white painted will reflect lot than anything else...

as i have mylar in handy will test which is helpfull, Else will add one more coat of matte white , as the while color in canopy turned yellowish.

What are you hoping for with this light? Just a viewing light or are you attempting to grow plants?

@Mebbid It is for planted tank, justed changed my light setup from CFL to T5, as of now working on best reflector...

Plants in the Aquarium:-

Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
StarGrass
Hygrophila
Java Moss
Weeping Moss
Staurogyne Sp. Porto Velho
Rotala macrandra Mini 'Red

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom