Food spill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puhlfly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I spilled some flake food into my tank. After syphoning it out, the water was very cloudy. My ammonia level was at 4 ppm. Before the clean up it was 0.25ppm. I added 5 platys to the tank 3 days ago. Is my problem new fish, or something to do with the spill?

IMO, both. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are still cycling your tank.

How big is your tank, and how much food did you spill?

[center:b23f2dc611] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, puhlfly!! :n00b: [/center:b23f2dc611]
gram of flakes
Did the ammonia immediately spike? It would have taken time for the food to break down to see a spike like that.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle in the Articles section. Meanwhile, have you done a PWC to bring the ammonia down?

I have done a PWC, and I had checked the ammonia the day before the spill. Also, how would you measure the amount of flakes you spilled?:)

Also, how would you measure the amount of flakes you spilled?
I don't. It's usually "too many," "A LOT," or the whole can, depending on if the cats are "helping" or not.

I wanted to get a better handle on the time line between when the extra food went it, the PWC and the increased ammonia.

Thanks for the info. I never thought you would spill flakes the way I did. :wink: I just did not know if the spike in ammonnia was stirred up from my clean up or something else. After reading up I think I might be overfeeding (not including the spill).

keep doing those PWC's, your tank is cycling so its going to be fairly unhealthy for your platy's... next time... do fishless cycling with ammonia

Back
Top Bottom