Freshwater Aquarium's pH stays at 6.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tooper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon, freshwater aquarium that I started 9 weeks ago. I have 6, apparently healthy, Zebra Danios that I have had for three weeks. I would like to add additional fish, however, there is one very significant problem: The tank's pH will not go above 6.0. I perform 10% water changes every week. Just this past Sunday, I drained 50% of my tank, and added all new water (at the advice of my local aquarium shop), along with Prime treatment. The aquarium shop personnel told me that the Amquel Plus I had been using, was responsible for this incredibly low pH, and the 50% water change/Prime addition would at least serve to raise the pH. Well, it did. For one day, my pH was 6.6. On Monday, it was 6.4. Yesterday, 6.2, and now, 6.0.....back where I started. Obviously, the Amquel Plus is not the only culprit. The tank temperature is around 78 degrees F. The ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is about 5 ppm. I use potassium chloride softened water, from the tap. Its pH is 7.8. There are three living plants (two Anubias, one Fern) in the tank, all tethered to decorations by fishing line. I have pebbles (purchased from Petsmart) as the substrate. The Danios get one crushed flake of fish food/day. Can anyone tell me why this is happening in the tank? I hesitate to use any pH adjusting chemicals, as the Danios are doing so incredibly well. It seems to me that it would be better to determine the cause of the problem.

Sounds like your water has low alkalinity (KH) try adding some crushed oyster shell, or crushed coral in a filter bag to your filter. That will raise the buffering capacity of your water, and help you maintain a little higher PH. Start with a small amount, and test the PH often.

Back
Top Bottom