Freshwater loners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirtautoguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are some fish that can be kept as a singular one of its kind in a freshwater aquarium I'm just curious because it doesn't seem like there are many that can be.

There's loads,

Gourami
Betta
Apistogramma
Plecos
Angelfish
Botia
Ghost knife fish

Just to name a few I know of

There's loads,

Gourami
Betta
Apistogramma
Plecos
Angelfish
Botia
Ghost knife fish

Just to name a few I know of

I wouldn't say botias are loners- they can be quite gregarious in a group and nervous when alone.

To the above list I'd add
cichlids
feather-fin catfish,
oscars,
eels,
bumble bee gobies,
butterfly fish,

Umm still thinking......

Most gouramis prefer to be in pairs. Botia usually prefer to be in groups as well. Ghost knife fish grow to 18 inches & have a minimum tank size of 150gal so maybe not a great choice for everyone.

Sorry I guess the important questions are what is your tank size & are you looking for 1 fish for the entire tank or types of fish that you can have 1 of & have it in a group with other types of fish?

Elephant-Nosed Fish is another one. Also, I would take Angels off that list too - angels can be kept in groups if the tank is large enough.

Elephant-Nosed Fish is another one. Also, I would take Angels off that list too - angels can be kept in groups if the tank is large enough.

My 2 cents ;) Elephant noses do better in groups than singles but can be kept alone if the decor of the tank provides security. Same for Angelfish. Can be successfully kept alone under right circumstances.
To the OP, sparsly decorated tanks will not have good outcomes with most loner fish.

Gourami do better by them selfs in my experience. Usually when there is two of the same species they will be the most stressed, and if there in two of different species they can co exists. They are a great option as a loner fish. Also botia are NOT loners, they should be kept in groups of at least 3.

Dwarf puffers (freshwater) are best kept on their own or in a species only tank, apparently. We don't have any but are interested in them. They have special dietary needs, as well.

Gourami do better by them selfs in my experience. Usually when there is two of the same species they will be the most stressed, and if there in two of different species they can co exists. They are a great option as a loner fish. Also botia are NOT loners, they should be kept in groups of at least 3.

Gouramis like it better in groups. However, male dwarf gouramis can be kept single. Male dwarfs r semi-aggressive to each other. I agree with the botias. Botias r schooling.

Depending on the tank size, a managuense (jaguar) cichlid makes a good loner. Much nicer looking than oscars, not nearly as much of a drama queen either. Very intelligent, mine would play with round stones, balls or anything else round. Very territorial, can be nasty tempered too.

I wow I guess there is a few, well lets say a 30 gallon community tank

I wow I guess there is a few, well lets say a 30 gallon community tank

Will you be doing a 30 gallon community tank, then? If so, you have got some good options. You can do a school of fish or two, like tetras, danios, barbs of some sort. You could do an angel. You could do a single or a few gourami. The gourami debate! Some people have success with groups, others don't. I have had a pair of dwarf alongside a pair of pearl and they done fine together. But they're such individual little fish it's hard to know if it'll work or not.
A 30 would be a nice size for a mix of live bearers, as well. Or even some smaller cichlids like rams.
I'd say whatever centrepiece fish you would like, research it as much as possible to see what other fish can go with it and then stock accordingly.
All of you folks who need advice on what to put in your tanks! I have the opposite problem---a ton of ideas and not enough tanks!

"All of you folks who need advice on what to put in your tanks! I have the opposite problem---a ton of ideas and not enough tanks!"

LOL, I completely agree!!

FishCr8zy said:
Gouramis like it better in groups. However, male dwarf gouramis can be kept single. Male dwarfs r semi-aggressive to each other. I agree with the botias. Botias r schooling.

I have had much better luck keeping gouramis singularly. Actually the only ones I have found that do good together are punk kissers but even they have moments:)

Pearls are some of the larger gouramis at 6". I had to rehome my pearl because he got too aggressive with all my other fish & wouldn't let them eat. This can sometimes happen in heavily planted tanks. Sometimes they're fine tho. I just think in a 30g putting a pair of 6" fish takes up a lot of real estate. In my 55 gal I have a pair of each Powder Blues, Dwarfs, Neon Dwarfs. I also have quite a few different Honey gouramis. I have males & females in the same tank without issue. I have 4 female bettas in there too. My tank is planted & I have a lot of territories for them to claim.

image-3669122264.jpg

Pearls are some of the larger gouramis at 6". I had to rehome my pearl because he got too aggressive with all my other fish & wouldn't let them eat. This can sometimes happen in heavily planted tanks. Sometimes they're fine tho. I just think in a 30g putting a pair of 6" fish takes up a lot of real estate. In my 55 gal I have a pair of each Powder Blues, Dwarfs, Neon Dwarfs. I also have quite a few different Honey gouramis. I have males & females in the same tank without issue. I have 4 female bettas in there too. My tank is planted & I have a lot of territories for them to claim.

I was wondering, will gourami cross breed ? I have 2 sunset gouramis and a male dwarf.

I have had much better luck keeping gouramis singularly. Actually the only ones I have found that do good together are punk kissers but even they have moments:)

I have kept dwarf, pink kissers, honey, and sunset. They all seemed ok with each other. The dwarfs were prob the most aggressive. I never had a bigger kind of gourami before. R they more aggressive than the smaller ones?

Back
Top Bottom