GBR acting odd.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there any reason that my male GBR would be hiding in the back when all of his tank mates are up in the front? Even a female GBR is acting very happy, searching for food, picking at everything. Male is in the back and very very rarely comes forward.

Looks fine, no signs of anything -- any idea what it could be? What should i do as a preliminary measure?

May have intestinal parasites. Most likely flagellates the will need metronidazole for treatment. I think Parasite Clear has metro along with some de-wormers and that would be a good "shotgun cure" if you aren't sure what the problem is. Might as well treat the whole tank since it's a 10g right?

Yeah this is in my 10g. Also, the second GBR from the same LFS to be acting funny - And they only have a 2 day moneyback policy (Petland).

I'll look for that product

thanks bs

Rats.

GBR is now dead. Second GBR to die after a few days from the same pet store?! Is the problem them?

The problem may be that they are Asian bred rams which are notoriously short-lived since they are subjected to growth and coloring hormones. There may have been little you could have done to save the fish. Look for some good quality rams if you are really interested in keeping them. They are terriffic fish. I've got 3 pairs of them right now along with about 20 that I'm growing out and will be ready for sale soon. I'm sending the first of them next week to a guy in New Mexico. The rest may be ready 2-3 weeks after that.

Yup, many of the GBRs at the LFS are weak strains that are filled with hormones. I bought two males a while back and they both died within two weeks. bs knows what hes talking about when it comes to GBRs, his fish are beautiful specimens. Oh and I call dibs on some of the first batch!! LOL :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom