general co2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNamelessPoet

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to be adding the DIY CO2 to my tank... I just bought a new light for the top and will have live plants soon. Id liek to get he light set up this weekend as it is supposed to be here tomorrow, and then get some java moss this weekend (maybe Sunday). My question is if I tried out teh C)2 system tomorrow or friday there is no actual drawback to starting the CO2 early right?

No it won't hurt anything so long as the concentration doesn't get ridiculously high. You may not want to run it at night unless you run an airstone too...

well, it might be a good idea... it will gas off extra co2 in the tank, essentially bringing it to equilibrium with the air. Since you have no plants using up the CO2 you are injecting, you just want to make sure it doesn't get too high

im not sure what the airstone is? is it jsut difusing "normal air" in the tank because I have a scuba bubbler

ohhh you are good then. It is more about disturbing the surface with the bubbles then diffusing normal air.

BTW, you will want to turn him off, at least during the photoperiod, once you get plants and DIY CO2 going.

ohhh you are good then. It is more about disturbing the surface with the bubbles then diffusing normal air.

BTW, you will want to turn him off, at least during the photoperiod, once you get plants and DIY CO2 going.

aww... I hope my gold barbs dont get sad :D they like the bubbles a TON lol

yup but it will be very counterproductive to trying to get CO2 to stay in the tank. The less surface movement the better during the day. Some people even turn their filters off during the day in heavily planted tanks.

Could you talk about your setup in more detail, like the reactor?

That is a good question. Adding CO2 without pants and sufficient lighting could cause algae problems. But worst of all it could cause carbon dioxide build up which is toxic to your fish. if you are only adding Java Moss CO2 is not necessary.

That is a good question. Adding CO2 without pants and sufficient lighting could cause algae problems. But worst of all it could cause carbon dioxide build up which is toxic to your fish. if you are only adding Java Moss CO2 is not necessary.
Ill be puttin in ferns and som spikes as well

If you mean me havent even built it yet. Im just going to do the standard 2 liter bottle with yeast and sugar
If you do that and then just stick the tube in the tank, all the CO2 bubbles will just pop out the end and float to the top. Barely dissolving into the water. That will render the co2 created in the bottle useless. Where the reactor comes in is it helps dissolve the co2 into the water much more efficiently. That is what I was wondering about. There are so many different ways to do it I was wondering what your plan was.

ah... I was under the impression I could just put one of those little stone difuser thingies on the end of the hose and stick it in the filter. maybe I was wrong.

The one thing you have to watch for is some white/gray scumming stuff that builds up and block the air store. I haven't had that problem yet with the limewood stone ones.

Limewood airstones are great. Basically you want the bubbles to be as small as possible. Powerheads are great for dispersing co2 as well....stick the airline into the intake of the powerhead (sometimes you have to cut so it will fit) and it chops the bubbles up. :) You will hear it though...usually....but it also works as a bubble counter (kind of).

Back
Top Bottom