getting nitrates down (artificial tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi guys. everything is where it should be in my 28l tank. other than my nitrates. how do i keep this down in an artificial tank?
im doing water changer every 3rd day .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you find your nitrates are rising too fast it could be that you are feeding too much or that you're overstocked.

Reduce feeding, gravel vac, water changes, as well as build up of debris on your filter sponges, if you haven't rinsed them in a while that could be part of it.. What size water changes are you doing? And of course over stocking.

What's in your tank?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The obvious solution is to do a larger water change. Doing more of them won't give you the same results as increasing the size. So, as the above post asked how big a change are you doing every 3 days?

The obvious solution is to do a larger water change. Doing more of them won't give you the same results as increasing the size. So, as the above post asked how big a change are you doing every 3 days?

i took 11litres out of my 28litre tank on tuesday. i got to do a test tonight?
i havent rinsed the sponge in my filter in awhile as my tank only finsihed cycling two weeks ago. i have 6guppies (babies) and 2 plattys.

how do i know if im feeding too much?
i feed two small pinches every evening. i turn off filter and air pump so the flakes dont sctter all over the place. i do two because im worried the smaller ones dont get anything. the food is done within 20seconds.

Also have you checked for nitrates in your tap water used for water changes just in case?

no i havent. ill do this when i get home. if its high what the solution?

Shift house :)

No, there are ways around it depending how high. Plants will soak up some. RO or filtered water. Chemical resins to absorb it. I'm just rattling these off but I forgot to ask how high is it?

Did you do a fishless cycle or fish in cycle?

im afraid i was givrn bad advice from the pet shop. i did a fish in cycle. i left my tank for 10 days and then added 4 fish.

Shift house :)

No, there are ways around it depending how high. Plants will soak up some. RO or filtered water. Chemical resins to absorb it. I'm just rattling these off but I forgot to ask how high is it?

lol. it was been 20 for over a week. and monday it was 40.
i brought this nitrate remover stuff made by tetra. i havent used it yet. i already add this fluval stuff that adds benificial bacteria. and obviiusly water dechlorinater.

if i added a plant, whats the easiest to keep? ive had alot of trouble getting my water parimeters right and i dont really want all the stress of worrying about caring for plants. if its very difficult

I just delt with this and great advice from this website got me thru it.one of my plattys wasn't acting right so I checked. All was well except nitrates were as dark on the test strip as could be. I use Prime and if you do you must use the a Seachem test kits, not API for accuracy. I did 40% water changes every other day for a week including rinsing out filter sponges, filter case, wiping decorations and glass. You probably see debris when you pour in clean water. Well you must stir up the gravel then syphon. I took out decorations brushed them in dirty fish water set aside then stirred it up and siphoned. After pouring in clean water use a net to get any other floating debris. My tank is 1 1/2 yrs old and apparently it was time. I did this with my 14 fish still in the 20 gal tank, but you can move them. Now my tank is sparkling clean, I'm back to once a week 25% water changes and best of all my fish is back to himself and nitrates are down to 0.2

Last edited:
im afraid i was givrn bad advice from the pet shop. i did a fish in cycle. i left my tank for 10 days and then added 4 fish.

Alright, nothing wrong with fish in cycling, but the first thing I would do is check for nitrates in your tap water, if it is 0 then perform an 80% water change (it will NOT disturb your cycle add long as you treat your water with the dechlorinator). If your nitrates are 40 it should drop them down to 8 ppm. I vacuum any gravel that you can without moving decorations during this change.

Also, platys and guppies are little poop machines so a 28 litre tank is not very big for them. Increase your water changes to at least 50% every other day until you can get a bigger tank. 15 gallons (~56 litres) would be better, but minimum 10g.

Live plants help lower nitrates obviously, and it seems like chunks of lava rock help as well if you have room to fit them in your decor. I was having nitrate issues in my artificial tank for a while until I added a bunch of lava rock and plants to my refugium/sump. The light in there is weaker than I thought it was since the plants have barely any growth, so I can only conclude it's the lava rocks that are doing the bulk of lowering nitrates between my weekly changes.

Alright, nothing wrong with fish in cycling, but the first thing I would do is check for nitrates in your tap water, if it is 0 then perform an 80% water change (it will NOT disturb your cycle add long as you treat your water with the dechlorinator). If your nitrates are 40 it should drop them down to 8 ppm. I vacuum any gravel that you can without moving decorations during this change.

Also, platys and guppies are little poop machines so a 28 litre tank is not very big for them. Increase your water changes to at least 50% every other day until you can get a bigger tank. 15 gallons (~56 litres) would be better, but minimum 10g.

ok im going to get on this.
i am getting a 60litre tank very soon.

am i fighting a losing battle? the water out of my tap read about 30ppm for nitrates.
i donot no what to do now. ive had stress with cycling and now this :(
these are the substances im using.

just done a test
ammonia: 0.25ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 20ppm

i still need to get a ph test kit. but every time ive had it tested in a shop its been between 7 and 8

Attachments

• 1394743035811.jpg
    1394743035811.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 60
Do you have space to try the lava rock I mentioned? Also, I think FluVal has a product called "Denitrate" that is basically little rocks you add in the filter media section that helps lowers nitrates too. Have only experimented with it a little so I don't know how effective it is.

am i fighting a losing battle? the water out of my tap read about 30ppm for nitrates.
i donot no what to do now. ive had stress with cycling and now this :(
these are the substances im using.

just done a test
ammonia: 0.25ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 20ppm

i still need to get a ph test kit. but every time ive had it tested in a shop its been between 7 and 8

Just a FYI but 30ppm of nitrates is NOT considered safe to drink.

Just a FYI but 30ppm of nitrates is NOT considered safe to drink.

it is from the bathroom. i make the water 26 c with my mixer tap. and this is the water i tested. should i maybe use the main tap?

Back
Top Bottom