gh/kh questions pt2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctordamen

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I thought had a decent understanding of gh/kh... I am about to change over my main tank, 55G med-heavy planted, from aquarium gravel to 95% sure it will be pool filter sand. And I want to add some lacerock. My initial research said it is aquarium safe and inert.. When I googled how to clean lace rock I saw a few forums saying it is calcium carbonate, when dissolved will create ca+ and carbonate(kh).. which will raise kh and gh... My lfs, big als has said it is inert aswell. I have boiled, scrubbed, washed, reboiled about 35lbs of lace rock and have had most of it soaking in a 5 gallon bucket for 24hrs. i just did gh/kh tests on my tap water, 5gallon bucket with 30lbs of lace rock soaking for 24hrs, and my main55g planted tank.

tap water gh-7
5g bucket with lacerock gh-8, kh 6
55g main tank gh-10, kh 6, i will be doing a 30% wc tomorrow
is my gh rising because water is evapourating over time, concentrating the gh...
i was initially worried about the lacerock raising my gh and kh but as my test results show it is inert, so far...or releases very very slowly.
Any thoughts/experience here?

Back
Top Bottom