Glassworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Relaxin_mood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to keeping fish, over the past 2 months I have cycled the tank, In the first month I added some plants to my 36 litre tank, past few weeks I have added 2 male and 6 female guppies and 5 cherry shrimp. The guy in the store said this was ok to do over 2 weeks which I have.

I have just knocked over a jug of glassworms and most went in the tank though, will this harm the fish and shrimp that were very settled in and seem to be very happy.

Please help

Depends on how many went into the tank. If there are a bunch settled on the bottom, they will start to rot and put off ammonia, which would be detrimental to the water quality of your tank.

About a bag like this but a bit less due to feeding over the week.

Attachments

• image-3465227580.jpg
    image-3465227580.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 50
really can't tell, there is no reference to size in that pic.

Your best course of action would be to clean out as much of it as possible if it settled on substrate (you should be able to gravel vac out), and monitor ammonia, and perform partial water changes if it starts to climb.

Ok thanks for advice. I scoped a lot out and a lot were eaten, hope everything will be ok, will clean gravel tomorrow. I won't feed the fish for a few days (is that ok?) so they pick the ones out of the gravel or would that do more harm.. Sorry I am new to this fish keeping.

That would be a good idea.

Do you have an ammonia test kit? That is the key, monitoring to make sure you don't have ammonia in the system over the next several days.

Yes I do.. Was reading 0.5 Wednesday when I checked, I check it once a week and do a 10% water change.

0.5 is bad. You need to get it under 0.25. I recommend a 50% water change ASAP.

Doing a test now.

Ammonia test is about 0.4
PH 7.2
KH 50
GH 125
NO3 10
NO2 0.5

NO2/3 levels been told about 10 and 0.5/1 is good for a planted tank. Others say both should be 0.

Ammonia from my tap reads just over 0.4 is there something I can add to tap water to help get that down?

No2 should be 0. Nitrite is extremely detrimental to fish as it inhibits gill function. No3 should never be 0 in a planted tank. Plants use NO3 as a source of nitrogen and it is safe for fish up to about 40 ppm.

If your tap has 0.4 ppm ammonia there is not much you can do except use prime for conditioner and establish a robust biological filter so that it reaches 0 within a few hours of a water change.

Will pop to my pet store tomorrow and see what the suggest.. Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom