GloFish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Theres no problems with glofish. The rumors about them being less healthy or unethical are circulated becausenof misinformation. Like was stated they were genetically modified by injecting DNA from a jellyfish into their eggs. From there its an inherited trait that they keep through breeding.

Their original purpose was to detect pollution in water until they were pulled into the pet market. They are no less healthy than any of the normal specimens that they originate from.

Imho, they are a good thing. They draw a lot of people into the hobby and that's a good thing in my eyes.

I think that this just about encompasses any ethical issues with glofish, but do not mistake tattoed fish because I do agree and believe that they are very unethical.

I think that this just about encompasses any ethical issues with glofish, but do not mistake tattoed fish because I do agree and believe that they are very unethical.

For those following the thread - these are tattooed fish. I took this pic from a local Soldans

tattooedfish.jpg

Glofish are not injected with dyes. Their florescence is passed from generation to generation; they inherit the florescence from parents just like they inherit any other gene.

I think you're confusing them with dye-injected or tattooed fish. The two are totally different ball games. Dyed fish and tattooed fish are unethical, have many, many health issues and should be avoided at all costs.

GMOs are illegal here, so I have no firsthand experience with glofish, but many friends in the states own them and seem to have no trouble keeping them happy and healthy. I've not seen any evidence to their lifespans being shorter than non-florescent fish of the same species, but feel free to correct me on that if you find sources to suggest otherwise :)

I guess they're not to everyone's taste; personally I find them quite unappealing, but that might just be me! I prefer their natural form, I think! :lol: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Same rules apply for glofish as they do for danios if you do decide to keep them; make sure you keep them in at least a group of six and give them plenty of space to swim! :)

I understand what you are saying and was trying to encompass them both, because some beginner fish keepers for reasons unknown to me lump GloFish (good) and tattooed fish (bad) together so let me clarify. I also forgot to mention how the GloFish are produced, so her it is. GloFish were developed by scientists to better detect environmental pollutants in the water, this fish was created by inserting jellyfish DNA into a fish egg. As the public learned about these fish, they became a popular pet fish, and (one of my favorite parts) drew people to the aquarium hobby. So of personal opinion, some people don't like the glo colors because they look unnatural(which they are), and some people just love the fluorescent colors. So yay to the happy, fun glofish. But to drill this in I will say it again because I believe strongly in it, tattooed fish are bad, unethical, and usually have many health problems. Also, just because they are glofish, they do not need those teeny tiny fish tanks sold at walmart, pet store chains etc. that are labeled as Glofish tanks.:thanks:

My best friend was drawn into the hobby by glow fish. She now has a 55g Mbuna tank, a 2 guppy tanks, 3 betta tanks, an angel tank, and a few breeding tanks.

It would be quite a sight to see happen though! :D

Most people in the hobby throw around natural without having any knowledge of just how far removed their fish are from their predecessors. The hobby is moving more and more towards mutant fish every day while people turn up their noses at glow fish which are perfectly viable fish. They have far fewer abnormalities than any of the balloon fish and blood parrots, less problems with disease, and are hardier than many of the severely line bred specimens we keep.

I agree with most of this. But you can't mock people for saying they like natural looking fish.

Like i said before I don't care if people keep them I just don't like them.

BUT-- what about the tetras where you can see their organs? Is that natural?

Yep found in nature. But not the ones that are "painted" only the all clear or sometimes marbled ones.

It's really just personal preference.people have touched base on how they are "made" already. I don't have any in my tank- but I like the natural look. (Plants, rocks that are natural color and driftwood not colored gravel and decorations). That being said whenever we go to the pet store our son loves them. 18 months. So once he is old enough he will probably ask for them and which case he will get his own tank to not "taint" my natural looking ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom