Going Away on Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishobcessed

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am leaving early Friday morning and will be back Monday evening. If I feed my fish Friday before I leave and then Monday night would they be ok?? I have the lights on a timer too.

I agree with Rich. They will be perfectly fine. Our Africans are not fed on Saturdays and Sundays and they are doing beautifully.

Fish are cold blooded animal, they can adjust their body temperature to adapt to the environment while only use minimum amount of energy. They can go months w/o eating. You'll be alright :D

I'm going to have to correct you catfishattack. Fish are not cold blooded, they are ectotherms as we are endotherms. Yes, fish cannot use energy in the form of heat and are alike with reptiles being ectotherms. And just because they are ectotherms like reptiles, that doesn't mean they have a metabilism like them. They would go without food for a weekend, yes. But don't give them the impression that they can go without food a month. That would kill almost any fish I can think of. Be careful what you say.

EXM said:
I'm going to have to correct you catfishattack. Fish are not cold blooded, they are ectotherms as we are endotherms. Yes, fish cannot use energy in the form of heat and are alike with reptiles being ectotherms. And just because they are ectotherms like reptiles, that doesn't mean they have a metabilism like them. They would go without food for a weekend, yes. But don't give them the impression that they can go without food a month. That would kill almost any fish I can think of. Be careful what you say.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/termsandtables/g/coldblooded.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold-blooded

Maybe I am wrong, but usually people refer ectotherms as cold blooded animals. Do a google search for "cold blooded" or "ectotherms" Most of them have fish listed.

Btw, fish can go months without feeding. I had a tilipia for a year and half without feeding before I released it back to wild and I have done it w/ other species when I was younger. I am not talking from theory, I am talking from fact and experience.

I set up a test tank. A 10 gallon tank with no filtration, no light no water change. It has guppies, snails and live plants in there. I didn't feed it for 2 months, guppies lived and had babies. I started with 5 guppies, now it has over 15 in there. Not to mention I didn't change water for 6 months and right now the water parameter is PH 7.0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. I test my water weekly and nitrate has been at 10 ever since it is done cycling. I top off the water every week, that's all I do.

I've gone away for a week without feeding and the fish were fine. Personally, I'd be more concerned about my planted tanks than I would be about the fish. Not tending to the plants for a week, I'd probably come home to a mess...

Your fish will be fine without food for a few days.

As I have been skimming through the forums of aquarium advice I have noticed lately that a lot of people correct each other in a rather heated manner...makes forums stressful.

I went away last Friday and didn't come back till Tuesday night. The fish were all fine - just a little extra happy to see me. :wink: I also have my lights on a timer for the benefit of my live plants.

I go away for the weekend often - usually once a month or more. The fish get no food during this time and it really doesn't seem to negatively affect them. Of course, I only feed them very high quality flake and frozen foods, so they are well nourished despite the occasional two day fast.

and jbarr, you are being hateful and rude. That is not tolerated here. You have been removed from this thread.

catfishattack said:
Fish are cold blooded animal, they can adjust their body temperature to adapt to the environment while only use minimum amount of energy. They can go months w/o eating. You'll be alright :D

i have to agree with EXM. fish cannot adjust their metabolism.

perhaps your tilapia could go "a year and a half?" (WHAT?!!) without eatting, because tilapia are somewhat larger, fatter fish. however it was wrong, why would you not feed a fish for months? humans can live, actually just this week the record was broke, 50 days without food, i dont recommend it.

not feeding an animal, even a fish for as long as you did, is considered animal cruelty. i also doubt a fish, malnurished for 18 months??? fish could make a comeback in the hospitable enviroment as the wild

Back
Top Bottom