Going food shopping...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayreee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Saturday I am going food shopping for all my fish.
I have:
Green Corys (I think)
Swordtail
Mollys
Neon Tetras
Platy
Blood Parrot Cichlids
Tiger Barbs

I was wondering what kind of food I should get them
I already have:
Tropical Flakes
Cichlid Pellets
Freeze dried blood worms

I know I need something for the corys (what, I don't know)
Any ideas of some good nutritional food I can get all these guys?

Hikari makes a good sinking wafer for bottom feeders - it has a picture of a cory cat on it.

Get some frozen bloodworms - they will enjoy them so much more than freeze dried - but otherwise you have a good mix. If you can find them, an occasional treat of live blackworms will send your fish over the moon, but be sure and rinse them very well before feeding.

Thanks guys! Are the blackworms live or frozen? I don't know if I will be able to touch a live one :D

Blackworms are live - if you are squeamish don't consider it, plus the unused portions need to be kept in the fridge, and not everyone is cool with "bait" living in the fridge (not talking about my husband at all.... :wink: ) It is no great wonder we have a fridge in the garage!

TankGirl said:
Blackworms are live - if you are squeamish don't consider it, plus the unused portions need to be kept in the fridge, and not everyone is cool with "bait" living in the fridge (not talking about my husband at all.... :wink: ) It is no great wonder we have a fridge in the garage!

Black WOrms are great, My fishies LOVE them. I have a magnetic clip that I clip the bag closed and it sticks on the bracket in the fridge. The first time my hubby saw them he freaked out... "WHAT IN THE He!! IS THAT!!!!!"
Also for squemish, but not too squemish... if you dont want to touch them, but still want to feed them, just use a turkey baster. My daughter thought of that one. Worked great.

You can do like I did and get a frozen "lunch-box." It's a different assortment of frozen foods, mine includes brine shrimp, blood worms, and a veggie mix. They come in small cubes.

I don't have any experience with live foods but as far as prepared foods go I suggest the Hikari sinking wafers for the cories and Nutrafin live bearer food for the mollies, platy and swordtail.

I have Hikari frozen Blood Worms and Hikari Frozen Brine Shrimp and have found my fish love the shrimp much better, when the shrimp go in its like a feeding frenzy. They take thier time with the blood worms. except my pitcus he goes nuts for anything...

Hikari has an assorted 'freshwater menu' that would be a good bet, sinking shrimp or bottom-feeder pellets will be appreciated by the corys, earthworm flakes will be relished by the livebearers and barbs.

Melody said:
Also for squemish, but not too squemish... if you dont want to touch them, but still want to feed them, just use a turkey baster. My daughter thought of that one. Worked great.

Okay, but with Thanksgiving coming up soon, please make sure you have an extra turkey baster! 8O :p :wink:

cginflorida said:
Okay, but with Thanksgiving coming up soon, please make sure you have an extra turkey baster! 8O :p :wink:

:lol: Believe me I am not cooking and I don't own one. I will have to go buy one just for them.

Thanks everyone.

Try Marinelands Catfish food, slowly sinking pellets and discs for all catfish and locahes.

Also Omega One Shrimp Pellets are great for corys, Mine just loved them.

Dan :)

Back
Top Bottom