Going From Saltwater to Freshwater - Help /w Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 220g is getting turned into freshwater and it needs to be cleaned. whats the best way to do this? just a lot of vinigar water and paper towals? its not like I can take it out back and spray it down with a hose haha.

2 garden hoses. 1 to run water into the tank and 1 to siphon water out of the tank. Do a lot of flushing. Vinegar rub for any calcium based algae or encrustments on the glass. Rinse and you should be good to go. Unless you are doing African Cichlids, non of the decor from the tank should be used in your FW setup. Calcium based decor, while great for SW and certain Africans, creates PH and Hardness issues in FW.

Hope this helps (y)

2 garden hoses. 1 to run water into the tank and 1 to siphon water out of the tank. Do a lot of flushing. Vinegar rub for any calcium based algae or encrustments on the glass. Rinse and you should be good to go. Unless you are doing African Cichlids, non of the decor from the tank should be used in your FW setup. Calcium based decor, while great for SW and certain Africans, creates PH and Hardness issues in FW.

Hope this helps (y)

wont be using the live rock from my reef for the pure reason that reef rock is for reefs not for fresh water. I think FW tanks with base rock are the worst looking tanks out there.

wont be using the live rock from my reef for the pure reason that reef rock is for reefs not for fresh water. I think FW tanks with base rock are the worst looking tanks out there.

However, some freshwater fish come from rock filled areas and would do well in a rock filled setup. But just as there are different types of plants for freshwater and saltwater, there are different kinds of rocks and the right ones need to be used for the right situation. Not everyone knows that so it needs to be said. ;)
Good luck with the switch. (y)

Back
Top Bottom