Gold Nugget Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, do you think I can comfortably fit a gold nugget in a 30g? Thanks!

Hmmm, I guess I won't get a gold nugget then. Can you guys recommend some other reasonable smaller sized exotic plecos? Perhaps the snowball?

Rio-Negro Pleco? They are about 4 inches max I think.

here is a link from liveaquaria - Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Rio-Negro Pleco (L 135)

gypsy king tiger pleco, there is also just the regular tiger pleco

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Gypsy King Tiger Pleco (L-66)

I'm not certain on these, I know live aquaria can be off on tank size so I would od a bit more research on those to be sure.

I've seen an L199 at a local marine store in the fresh water section. I think they stay about 5 inches so you could look into that too. I believe they are a type of zebra pleco. Not the crazy exotic one though. lol

Exotics are better left to bigger tanks, so if you want a pleco, I would go with some sort of Bristlenose. Please try not to confide in LiveAquaria for tank sizes, it's the stuff jokes are made of, if you get my meaning.

Hope I helped!

Its weird though, because I've done quite some research, and from that research, I'm getting the notion that Gold Nuggets get to around 6 inches? I could be completely wrong.

As with all big fish, you can keep them in a smaller tank when they are young, but you have to upgrade to a bigger tank when the current tank cannot any longer support their healthy growth. I say it's easier to just start out with a tank that is big enough to accommodate an adult pleco, be it Common or Gold Nugget.

Hope I helped!!

phoenixkiller said:
I believe this gets pretty big, a 55 gallon tank is the bare minimum from what I'm told.

Very pretty fish, let us know what ya decide.

While there are multiple species sold as gold nugget plecos, the smallest gets 6 inches at the largest. That is perfectly fine in a 55 IMO. The largest species sold with the name can get over a foot long. I suggest you make sure you know the L number and other specific information before getting one.

phoenixkiller said:
Exotics are better left to bigger tanks, so if you want a pleco, I would go with some sort of Bristlenose. Please try not to confide in LiveAquaria for tank sizes, it's the stuff jokes are made of, if you get my meaning.

Hope I helped!

A lot of the tank size recommendations on live aquaria are good, it's just that some are not good. For example, they have 2 gallons as the minimum for glofish, while we would normally recommend a 20 gallon. They only have 2 gallons as theirs because they are trying to promote the small glofish kits that are much too small for them. It's dishonest IMO but you shouldn't get all your information from one source anyway. Here is the profile for gold nugget plecos. Live aquaria recommends a 50 gallon, which is pretty close to what we were saying.

A lot of the tank size recommendations on live aquaria are good, it's just that some are not good. For example, they have 2 gallons as the minimum for glofish, while we would normally recommend a 20 gallon. They only have 2 gallons as theirs because they are trying to promote the small glofish kits that are much too small for them. It's dishonest IMO but you shouldn't get all your information from one source anyway. Here is the profile for gold nugget plecos. Live aquaria recommends a 50 gallon, which is pretty close to what we were saying.

^ this. Live aquaria is off on a lot of tank sizes but they also have a lot of good generals too. Research is always key but it can be a good place to start for basics. I honestly find it to be pretty decent for recommendations for larger fish. It recommends 30 gallons for all of it's fancy goldfish which is a step up from what a lot recommend at 20 gallons. Smaller fish though like tetras, danios, ect seem to get shafted on this.

Glofish they actually only recommend a single gallon for that yet recommend 10 gallons for a CPD. Using 1 place as your sole source of info isn't a smart move but neither is ruling out an entire site for a few mistakes. There is a lot of great basic info on that site.

Back
Top Bottom