Grade of CO2 for your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good morning everyone,

I filled up my CO2 tank and it occurred to me that I never really thought about the grade of CO2 that I will put into my aquarium. After some research, I found that there are three grades of CO2: Industrial, Food, and Medical.

What grade do you guys use if you even know? Has anyone gone from industrial to food and seen a difference?

For those that do not know, welding shops and paintball tanks use Industrial grade, which has to have 99% purity. The other 1% has nitrogen and hydrocarbons, but there is some talk that it can also contain bromine. Food grade has a 99.9% purity rating, and is also required to be used in a different tank with a glass lining. Medical grade is the purest form you can find.

Now, I have seen some people say that food grade is a just a gimmick, that all CO2 comes from the same source. Others say industrial grade can contain oils, like for paintball. I know that is not true because I played paintball competitively and know there was not oil in any of the tanks, CO2 or nitrogen.

I had my tank filled up at a brew shop (only place in Atlanta that would fill a non-paintball tank), and their CO2 was Industrial grade, so people were consuming Industrial grade in their beer.

What do you guys use, if you even know? Is Industrial grade perfect safe for our application, or are our fish facing some risk with 99% purity? :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom