Gravel or Sand for a 90 Gal setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gilcano

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm changing the whole setup on my tank. A friend recommended using sand instead of gravel. I had never used sand in any of my aquariums and don't know if is better than gravel. My friend stated that sand is better because the waste doesn't penetrate into the sand rather stays on top and is easier to clean than the gravel in which the fish waste goes right into and then a gravel vacuum is needed. Regardless of which substrate choose I want to go "black". I would like to complement with a piece of driftwood and maybe just one or two plants. I forget to mention that the fish stock will be CA/SA Cichlids, mainly 3 - Red Devils/Midas, 1 - pleco, 1- parrot and possibly 1- Parachromis loiselle female.
I would like to hear your comments

(y)

That's not a good stock for a 90. If you get 3 Red Devils or 3 Midas the parrot and Pleco will be killed. I highly suggest not getting any Red Devils or Midas. But I would go with sand I like the looks of it a lot more!

That's not a good stock for a 90. If you get 3 Red Devils or 3 Midas the parrot and Pleco will be killed. I highly suggest not getting any Red Devils or Midas. But I would go with sand I like the looks of it a lot more!

I know what you mean, but if I'm lucky I'll get a pair out of the Devils/Midas. I got a 30 gal which I'm cycling in case of extreme aggression. On the other hand I'll build some hiding places with clay pots and black ABS pipe for the other fish.
Thanks

A pair of red devil or Midas needs a 125 gallon at least I'm telling you these fish kill everything. Your Pleco and parrot don't stand a chance they will get killed.

A pair of red devil or Midas needs a 125 gallon at least I'm telling you these fish kill everything. Your Pleco and parrot don't stand a chance they will get killed.

This is true. And I believe a 90g is only 48x18x24. I would seek out a 6ft long tank if you wanna go with red devils OR midas'

Understood!, 125 gal tank is in my plans for the future, they Devil/Midas are just 5-5.5". I know Devils/Midas fish grow big and are very aggressive.

This is what I'm planing for the Red Devil/Midas

The only thing I would change is this. Instead of the top 125 draining into the second tank, make it drain right into the sump. Same as tank 2. Then you should get another pump and make it go to its own tank so 1 pump per tank. That way tank 2 isn't getting tank 1 run off waste ya know?

You got a point there. That way I can run two individual pumps (less GPH x pump)

You got a point there. That way I can run two individual pumps (less GPH x pump)

Yes that can work. I would aim for atleast 1200gph each. You can always divide the sump right down the middle and give each tank their own sump basically. Not long ways just the middle at 12"

Yes that can work. I would aim for atleast 1200gph each. You can always divide the sump right down the middle and give each tank their own sump basically. Not long ways just the middle at 12"

I'm getting this one from a local guy

2" x 4" reinforced and painted with black oil paint (kinda waterproofing it) and will use the following joint tecnique:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Soon, I'm picking up a 125 that needs to be resealed (for $75).

Back
Top Bottom