Gravel/Pebble Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcktlnt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I'm trying to setup a new tank and I am currently right now browsing for substrates. I am thinking sand, but I don't know if it is compatible with most fish and I do not want to limit my choices. :) On the other handI don't think I want to purchase 20 pounds for 20 dollars at my fish store. Went to Home Depot and OSH, and found some pebble rocks for 2.99 for 50 pounds. They have two bags, one with 2-3 inch pebble rocks and another with smaller pebble rocks. Just curious if anyone else has purchase substrates from hardware supply stores and would this be absolutely safe for fish?

Thanks
Cheers :)

I've got sand, and I'll tell you honestly it has to be the worst. It traps fecal matter and harbors too much bacterial growth. My fish did fine at first, but now have dropsy, bacterial infections, mouth fungus, and fish lice. Go with something of larger grade! :) Good luck!

I have always used gravel that I purchase from pet/fish stores. I feel that buying from a store that sells fish and fish supplies will ensure I get something safe for my fish tanks.

I went to a landscape place for my substrate - I got 1/4" river pebbles (they call them rainbow rock) for 2 bucks a cu. foot.

Just make sure you get stuff that is - smooth edged (so won't cut fish), inert (check with acid - if rock fizzes, it will change your water parameter), & clean.

I reason that since the river pebbles comes from river, shouldn't be too bad for fish. Also, if it comes froma local river, it will prob not alter your water chemistry much, as your water prob comes also from the same river with the same rocks, etc.

To be safe, however, I washed the heck out of the rock, then sun baked on a hot day (you can also sterilize by oven bake - or barbeque as someone else had reported elsewhere on this board :) - but be ware of the smell!). Finally, I tested the rock by soaking for a week in water ... testing for GH, KH, & pH before & after. In my case the rocks raised my pH by 0.1, but stopped right there, so I have nice stable pH. I've kept checking for the last 6 months & the whole system had been stable.

BTW - I have fairly hard water, so less carbonates will dissolve into it. If you have soft/acidic water, I would expect more problems with uncoated rocks. Anyway, the key to using natural substrate is to check & check to be sure.

This is what I'm currently using in my tank. It says sand on the bag, but it isn't your beach sand.

img_258509_0_21ebbf4902ee4187e90e2086d3d17f6b.jpg

I personally like this so much better then the gravel you find in your LFS. It is so much easier to clean. I bought a 50lb bag for $29.99 at my local fish store.

I have also been told you can get the exact same sand at home depot. I rinsed it out probably a good 10 times just to make sure no funky stuff was in there.

img_258509_1_9b901752230306a5a555028e1a73930f.jpg

Hope the photo helps.

Back
Top Bottom