green algae: eyesore or beneficial?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amitnarain

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello.

i wanted to know whether green algae is beneficial somehow to tanks?

i know it may provide food to some fish but is it really bad to keep? apart from being ugly?

coz i thiunk that if some part was allowed for the algae to proliferate it could somehow create an interesting ambience in the tank. excess algae causing the eyesore could be wiped away.

what do u experts think?

I don't bother cleaning the back panel in my tank. It's covered with green algae which my BN plecos like to graze. I also believe that it acts as an excess nutrient sink, a nitrate remover, and a good place for beneficial bacteria to colonize. I also don't mind a bit of green algae on my driftwood - I think it make it look more natural.

well...

green algae is a 'Good sign'
it means that your tank is established/cycled and there is nitrates !!

I do the same thing as Qtoffer. I never clean the back panels on my aquarium. That way all my algae eaters and suckers always have something to graze on.

Ditto here as well. I will never scrub the algae off my wood and back glass panel. It is beneficial to the tank and does make everything look natural. But, if any algae thinks it has a chance of growing on the remaining three sides, it has another thing coming. :mrgreen:

light intencity helps cause it.. too much PO4 basicly all the things your not suppose to do to prevent algae problems.. :lol: Id be carefull with this if these things move to quickly south I would think greenwater would be more likley of an output then some of the macro algae types..

What are some good algae eaters of the green algae? I have a BN pleco that isn't doing ANYTHING for it in the 29 gal tank.

[quote="Meredith"How do all of you have green algae? I have never had any and I want it. [/quote]

You have some Meredith. Run your finger along the rear tank wall. That slimey goo is your algae. It may not be green to the naked eye but it's there and so long as your tank is healthy, it should always be present.

If you have driftwood, you should see a couple of small green dots or strips on it.

Back
Top Bottom