green look in my water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

igongora

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys..

since some time ago. my tanks water has a green look, see pics. I have made water changes about once or twice a week, but It always keep that look, what can I do? can I handel to get it clear with PWC or should I totally change my water?

Pics..

img_645308_0_4aa50a87d29fe622b18d783f4dad9be9.jpg

img_645308_1_f7b5b0042affc4b26c29ecee655cd765.jpg

img_645308_2_6ef1b4e3bd1c8e68dc4998125719b09f.jpg

I would apreciate any comment.

Hi liquidphyre,

it's in a place where it get light almost 20 hours a day.. it gets sun light all day long. not directly, and at night the light remians on till 5 oclock in the morning.

would it be becuase of the light? I had thought it was beacause of my algaes, and I got rid of half my algaes and the water remains green... what would happen if I change all the water in my tank?

I wouldn't recommend changing ALL the water out of your tank.

Your tank is green because of algae and algea thrives in lights (photosynthesis). So because of the 20 hours your tank is getting, you are feeding the algae.

The best thing to do would be to do a 50% water change and put a blanket over the tank for abour 3-4 days. Don't let ANY light get in. Don't worry about feeding your fish, they will be fine for a few days.

In the mean time, find a place to move your tank out of the light. Your tank doesn't 20 hours of light a day =o)

Actaully I cannot move my tank. that's the only place I have right now.. till december that I will be moving to my brand new house.. isn't there any temproal solution to that? I would I need to cover all nights my tank with a blanket untill I move to my new house?

Leave the water! Don't change anything. Green water is probably what is keeping the fish alive as it takes care of the parameters nicely. That tank is way too small for those fish. You should have 10-20 gallons per fish, more for the comet or common, whichever variety it is.

Back
Top Bottom