Green water help!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amielizzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys so i have a 54l tank (upgrading to 200l in a few days).
Tank has been up about 6 months.
We have 2 yamato shrimp, 2 platys and 10 minnows (gwcmm and wcmm)

We have been having to do 25/50% water changes for about 3 months every week as the water goes very green. We have cut there internal light down to a few hours in the evening as tank is in a well lit room.. we have a towel over the tank most of the day to block out some natural light. (Was advised by someone where we purchase our fish) IMG_0606.jpg

Last few days ive been running 2 filters interpet and tetra easy crystal,to see if it helps but im unsure why can anyway shed some light!!!
Here are our water levels
Am yet to retest amonnia waiting on more strips
Gh 75
No3 0
No2 1
Carbonate120
Ph 7.6

Filtration wont help at all with green water. It wont filter out algae growth. If there is natural light on the tank the result will be green water. Blocking out "some" natural light probably wont cut it. Best thing would be to move the tank away from natural light altogether. Like 3 or 4 metres from any window.

Or, nuclear option. UV sterilisation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ukpetandaq...ocphy=9046377&hvtargid=pla-697167840190&psc=1

Okay thank you my house is small so wont be able to move it i have just resorted in black bags on my windows till my blackouts come lol

Which one would i need for a 200l as the one in the link is for up to 90l

Ive actually got the 24w in a 200 litre. I just run it 2 or 3 hours per day on a plug timer. The smaller one would work just as well but would need to be run for a longer period of time.

However, if I was setting up a new 200 litre with UV i would be hooking one of these up on the return line of a fluval canister filter.

https://fluvalaquatics.com/uk/uvc-in-line-clarifier/

Last edited:
Lovley thank you will have a look and purchase in a couple of days done a massive water change today so water is clear again and as i say black bags on windows at the moment.... ?? hope they appreciate it lol

Back
Top Bottom