Ground Fault Interupt plugs (GFI) Life Savers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had to turn off my fish tank circuit and open up the electric boxes to add a new plug about 6 feet away for a new QT/breeding setup. So I added some GFI plugs. We all know that GFI can be a life saver, but in the directions its specifically states "Do not plug in any life saving devices to this circuit after installing!"

Well, my filters and heaters ARE life saving devices! :D ????

TomK2 said:
Well, my filters and heaters ARE life saving devices! :D ????

Hmmm...sort of a conumdrum eh?

I believe the principle of the GFI is based on major appliances (A/C's. Electric Heaters, etc.).

I wouldn't plug anything "lifesaving" into one, including the "First Alert" medical system.

Hmmm...sort of a conumdrum eh?
yeah. I know there have been other threads on the reliability of GFI's. I only had one fail once, when a transformer fire caused all kinds of on/off/surges.

If it does fail, bet it happens on my two week vacation this summer :evil:

GFI's don't really "fail" when it cuts out with a dangerous voltage/current/spike. It is supposed to do that ... otherwise, the surge will fry your equipment or your fish.

I've had only one failure in my many GFI's outdoors. This one just got stuck in the "OFF" position & cannot be reset ... nothing was plugged in at the time so I think this is a true mechanical/electronic failure.

On balance I'd take the small chance that fishies may suffer with the equipment cutting off rather than risk an electrical shock to people or fish.

GFI's don't really "fail" when it cuts out with a dangerous voltage/current/spike. It is supposed to do that ... otherwise, the surge will fry your equipment or your fish.
So there is some surge protection with a GFI? I didn't know that. Ever have one trip, then you reset it without anything changed, and it works without problem? I have had this happen on kitchen circuits, but no a tank circuit. Wonder what causes that.

Overall, I agree with you, otherwise I wouldn't have put them in. Guess I just need a little reassurance :lol:

Back
Top Bottom