growing aglae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
has anyone tried growing algae outside the tank? Any tips? My tank is, unfortunately for my otos, algae free and I am thinking of growing some. I live in washington so there is not much sun at the moment. Will a regular plant light work?

Algae responds best to natural sunlight, but will respond to ANY light. Particularly good are actinic bulbs. With an actinic (Longwave UV and blue-->purple spectrum visible light) bulb, algae will colonize beautifully and rapidly. However, an incandescent bulb will do (though these are hot and not recommended for the hazards involved) as will regular fluorescents from a fish tank hood (best idea, probably because of the low heat).

The easiest scenario for culturing algae is to get several small rocks or pieces of driftwood with a fair amount of surface area. Submerge these in a shallow tub (4-8") of old *tank* water (which will have nitrates in it) and prop a strong light on top of the tub as close to the water's surface as possible. As algae forms, take out half of the most algae-covered rocks and place them in your tank. When these are cleaned by the otos, take them out and replace them with the other rocks with algae on them still.

Keeping the light on for as long as possible is probably the best idea, though the algae will form just fine if you're keeping the light on for 10-12 hours.

I think that, with the high light, you'll probably get a combination of green and brown algaes. Both are suitable for otos.

HTH

Hey, that's a great idea. I was trying to ask exactly the same thing... Thank you both!

I got new lighting a few weeks back. It came with a 9300K bulb. Not sure if it was the increased light or the higher K bulb but I now have green algae growing on the glass. Might be a bit of both.
Light level went from 1wpg and 5500K bulbs to 1.5wpg and the 9300K bulb.
You could also try adding some plant fertilizer to help the algae along.

Yes, it's almost certainly the increase in the wpg rating that made the algae grow. I maintain a tank with no light over it and it grows virtually no algae--quite amazing.

I always find it funny when people are TRYING to grow algae. If you really want some, you can come scrape some off my tank. I won't even charge you too much for it!

lol. why dont you just get algae wafers? anyway green algae isnt very fun imo. its hard to scrape off and non of my fish eat it. i just scrape it and squeeze the sponge into a small glass container that there was daphnia in there but i think their all dead now.

Back
Top Bottom