Guppy picking on MM platy! Help save the platy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zastrus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10g tank, which I am cycling. I decided to buy 2 fish for the cycling process, a MM platy, and a guppy.

And so far, the guppy has been nothing but a jerk to the other fish. Constantly nipping and picking at the other fish. I don't think it's picking at it's fins, just.. poking it, etc.

I separate the guppy so the platy doesn't get exhausted from all the harrassment, but when I put the guppy back.. it just starts again. And the platy just sits there and takes the harrassment, swimming away, and hiding, etc.

Anyone know what I should do?

Or know why the guppy is being such a little jerk?

I need help before the guppy kills the platy! :eek:

Well, sounds like you have to make a choice here...guppy or platy? One thing you might want to consier is this: do you plan on getting other fish for the tank? If so, you want to think about if the guppy is a jerk now, what's to keep him from picking on other fish? I have two platies in my 10 gal and I love them! IMO, take the guppy back and buy another platty, or find a friend with a cichlid tank and put the guppy in there to "test it's skills"...jk! Anyway, it's your choice, but the platy will be much more social than the guppy in the future!

But.. it's been about 5 days since I bought it. What if they don't take it back? :O

I think Asher's advice is very good. If you don't want to take back the guppy, you could buy a tank divider instead, they are relatively cheap although can be somewhat ugly (mine is bright blue and really detracts from the beauty of my little ten gallon, IMO).

I had this problem.Almost took the MM back but decided against it after some discussion here...I was really just waiting it out and seeing if it got better or worse as the platy grew.

I'll assume the Gup is male and the MM is female.The gup is constantly in chase mode, often bumping the sides and underside of the mm.No nipping,but what appears to be constant unwanted attention.

In my case it stopped.Offer lots of hiding places and give it some time imo.Its not so much a "mean guppy" as it is a "happy" guppy if you get my meaning...its a livebearer thing.,,,or at least thats what I came to believe.

The MM will out grow him,tire of it,and correct the situation on her own lol...or at least mine did.

Hmm.

Could the guppy kill the platy by exhausting it? Because the platy actually turns sideways to avoid the nipping of the guppy. (I'm assuming it's tired?)

And by happy.. do you mean horny? haha.

Hmm...

I don't know my fish, so was that sarcasm? :eek:

And can the guppy kill the platy by exhausting it?

It's always a possibility. Or it could die from stress. I don't know for sure, but in my expereience if you take the guppy back to your LFS alive and tell them the situation, then ask for a trade for a fish of equal of lesser value they usually will do that. I have yet to not have a fish store take back a fish that you bought there that was alive.

Back
Top Bottom