Hands in Tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flames9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. When cleaning your tank (water change) and moving around the decorations do you put in ur bare hands into the water to do this??? I just dont want to contaminate my tank. Thanks Scott

It's usually fine. As long as you haven't been cleaning before hand and such(using chemicals, bleach, etc). I have always used my bare hands, with no problems. Just make sure you wash your hands and arms good before hand and afterwards, and rinse well too.

I always use my hands in the tank and it's fine.
Like Devilishturtles said be sure to wash before and after.

Same here. But when redecorating the 150, I take a shower first because I have to stick my entire arm in the tank, including part of my shoulder, to reach the bottom. Then a shower with soap afterwards.

rinse really good with just hot water before, to remove any chemicals from your hand. Afterward make sure you wash really good with soap and water, antibacterial soap if possible, because there is a mycobacterium that can grow in freshwater aquariums and harm humans. There's an article on over in the general discussion area

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=10620

Thanks all for the help!!! Only had 1 fish die (cory) since I started all this craziness!! Purchased another Cory today to keep the other Cory company. Thanks again. Scott

And now my Cory that I bought with the other "dead" cory has past on!! So I assume that the cycle was hard on them!!! So now just 1 cory that I bought last weekend,along with my Guppies!!

Yes my tank is now cycled. Took a month. Used Bio Spira. The water levels were never that bad, but guess to hard on the cory's!!!

Back
Top Bottom