Hardscape Suggestions Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hhhhmmmm . . . lets try this a bit differently.

Working on hardscaping a 15 long. Substrate is ADA Amazonian, rock and wood ordered from AFA. Looking for input and suggestions on improving the hardscape.

It's really hard to tell until the plants are in IMO. I usually put my wood/rocks anywhere in the tank, and as the plants grow in I move them around until I find I spot where I think they look nice.

Fishobsessed7

With the two large objects at opposite ends of the tank, the eyeis pulled in two directions and both are competing for attention imho. What about layering the wood over/under/around the stone to make one large focal point and allow the plants to draw the eye towards that one area?
What plants are ya using??

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

With the two large objects at opposite ends of the tank, the eyeis pulled in two directions and both are competing for attention imho. What about layering the wood over/under/around the stone to make one large focal point and allow the plants to draw the eye towards that one area?

? Diana Lee ?

+1

Fishobsessed7

It's really hard to tell until the plants are in IMO. I usually put my wood/rocks anywhere in the tank, and as the plants grow in I move them around until I find I spot where I think they look nice.

Fishobsessed7

I was kind of hoping to determine plant location somewhat based on the hardscape. With my personal luck with plants, it is hard to say what will and what won't grow in LOL.

�� Diana Lee ��
�� the St. Augustine Redhead ��
Florida Orchid Endler's | Documented Class N Orchid Endler's Livebearer Fish

I'll have to play with that hardscape idea a bit. plants at this point and time are also up for suggestions. Tank will be a low tech planted, and at this point and time I've some decent sized anubias, anacharis, and hornwort as well as some moss to choose from. I'm trying to stay away from the floating plants in this one, as they tend to become so think that they block out the light and the aquatic ones go belly up. I've a few others floating around in the shrimp tank, I'll have to post them up for I.D.s as I've frankly no clue what they are. But some of them could also possibly be used as they have survived in a similar tank setting for several months now.

Thank you both for taking the time to drop in and provide some suggestions.

Java Fern, Anubias, most crypts, water sprite, water wisteria, moss balls, and some aponogeton species do well in low light/tech tanks

Fishobsessed7

My two cents: A triangular composition always looks best, utilizing the rule of thirds, and also odd numbers of groupings. Right now you have an even number of groupings (2) that are about equally sized. Breaking it into 3 groupings, with a triangular composition so that the eye is drawn from small to large or visa versa can often yield pleasing results. I am by no means an expert and never did get it down, but in my 12 long, I tried to follow these principles:

19738-albums2809-picture67166.jpg

It never did work out the way I wanted, but I think the eye was drawn in the right direction.

I tried in my mini m's as well, and think with a dozen or so layouts this was one of the more successful - again, triangular composition, odd groupings, rule of thirds:
19738-albums1199-picture11243.jpg

19738-albums1199-picture11376.jpg

There was a great article out there written by Amano but I can't find it... if you have time to search around it is all about hardscaping composition. I think what it boils down to is the rules that make for "good" photographs also apply to hardscape design. It is of course a matter of preference, but also amazing some of the science behind design composition.

I think you could make the hardscape as it is work out if you chose the right plants and tied it all into one fluid motion.

Is it important you have both the wood and rocks in there? Maybe look at what it would be like to keep just one or the other in there. Or maybe take some of the wood out to make it less of a clump and scatter the rocks around a little bit for the same purpose.

Before anything is done though I would put a background on that tank. A nice solid black to make the plants pop or whatever you want but it'll give it more of a completed look as opposed to seeing an electric timer plugged into the wall behind the tank. I'd also just go ahead and fill it with water, put your light on it and see how it looks filled with water.

You can plan and plan and plan but once you get the plants and fish, like you said, some plants won't make it, some won't look right, fish may require more swimming room and cause you to remove things, it's going to be an ongoing process to perfect it no matter how much you plan.
Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My two cents: A triangular composition always looks best, utilizing the rule of thirds, and also odd numbers of groupings. Right now you have an even number of groupings (2) that are about equally sized. Breaking it into 3 groupings, with a triangular composition so that the eye is drawn from small to large or visa versa can often yield pleasing results. I am by no means an expert and never did get it down, but in my 12 long, I tried to follow these principles:

19738-albums2809-picture67166.jpg

It never did work out the way I wanted, but I think the eye was drawn in the right direction.

I tried in my mini m's as well, and think with a dozen or so layouts this was one of the more successful - again, triangular composition, odd groupings, rule of thirds:
19738-albums1199-picture11243.jpg

19738-albums1199-picture11376.jpg

There was a great article out there written by Amano but I can't find it... if you have time to search around it is all about hardscaping composition. I think what it boils down to is the rules that make for "good" photographs also apply to hardscape design. It is of course a matter of preference, but also amazing some of the science behind design composition.

Thank you Justin, I appreciate the input. I've read a few articles on hardscaping, but not sure I've read that particular one. I'll do some looking for that. I knew enough about the rule of thirds to keep the two bodies sitting on those lines, but as you pointed out, only two groups when there needs to be only one or three.

I think you could make the hardscape as it is work out if you chose the right plants and tied it all into one fluid motion.

Is it important you have both the wood and rocks in there? Maybe look at what it would be like to keep just one or the other in there. Or maybe take some of the wood out to make it less of a clump and scatter the rocks around a little bit for the same purpose.

Before anything is done though I would put a background on that tank. A nice solid black to make the plants pop or whatever you want but it'll give it more of a completed look as opposed to seeing an electric timer plugged into the wall behind the tank. I'd also just go ahead and fill it with water, put your light on it and see how it looks filled with water.

You can plan and plan and plan but once you get the plants and fish, like you said, some plants won't make it, some won't look right, fish may require more swimming room and cause you to remove things, it's going to be an ongoing process to perfect it no matter how much you plan.

Thank you for the input, I wondered about plants, but not real sure that I have the plants to pull it together and honestly I'd rather start with a solid foundation and then use the plants to make it even better. With my luck with plants, it might be a long time before it would ever pull together LOL.

I thought about a background after I had water in the silly thing, wasn't one of those things I thought about ahead of time, cause we were in a hurry to get it set-up and running so we could get stuff transfered over. Maybe something I can stick on the back and make work - I could laminate some paperboard and stick it back there.

Indeed every tank is a continually changing scene - especially in my case, as they tend to change from year to year with student input, but it is always fun to watch and document the changes as they happen.

I appreciate everyone's input, we will do some playing with the layout and then repost some pictures.

What kind of background are you going for? Solid color? Frosted? Crazy pinwheels and tie-dye? ��
The frosted would look phenomenal imho. That can be done even with the tank filled...

�� Diana Lee ��

I'm really not much for wild colors, almost all my aquariums are done to look as natural as possible, so I'll probably stay away from any wild colors. I also dislike the fake ones, so it won't be one of those with rocks, plants, fish, etc. on it. Probably a solid color, perhaps a blue or a black. Although I must admit that I have considered a swirling mix of purple and pinks as a background for saltwater tanks - it would help the coralline blend in LOL. Frosted is something I've not considered, but I suppose that would require an adhesive background and with a cabinet hanging over the top of the tank, that could be really tricky to get in place.

Last edited:
The frosted can be painted on, on the back and side panels if you wanted!
Love the psychedelic colors for the coral, lol.

? Diana Lee ?

Hhhmmm hadn't thought about that, but it still would require taping of the tank which in its current spot could be a bit of a challenge. I did check out your thread, have to admit the tree branch background with the matching tree branch in the tank looks good.

Ok, attempt #2, tried to incorporate most of the suggestions, combined the rock and driftwood, then used the rock to arm out in something of a triangle, with the driftwood being the pinnacle. Tried to set the pinnacle using the law of thirds. Tried to incorporate some change into the substrate, so it wasn't completely flat, added a "temporary" background and turned on the lights. I like this scape a lot more, but may have to fiddle a little more. The driftwood isn't quite sitting where I would like it to, but not sure I can get it there without cutting it up a bit - since it is all one piece I'm a bit hesitant. I do like the low area on the front left and the branch sweeping out to the front glass. The peaks moving away from the focal point is something I've been wanting to try for a long time. Let me know what you all think.

Old for comparison

I love how it draws the eye around the tank, and not just to one spot. Looks awesome. Even with the uneven background, it has so much more depth and shadows which, when planted, will look amAzing!!
And thanks for checking out my thread!

? Diana Lee ?

Wow, that looks a thousand times better!

Thank you!

I also find it more pleasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Justin, appreciate the pointers!

I love how it draws the eye around the tank, and not just to one spot. Looks awesome. Even with the uneven background, it has so much more depth and shadows which, when planted, will look amAzing!!
And thanks for checking out my thread!

�� Diana Lee ��

Thank you, and any time - enjoyed it.

Thanks again one and all! I am wondering however if the black background makes too much black? Would it be better with a solid blue? It just seems so dark. Anyway, water is back in and will probably take 2 or 3 days to clear up again, as I added more of the ADA soil. Once it clears I'll post up some more photos.

Back
Top Bottom