Has anyone had a fish jump out of his bowl???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mlgunter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
when I came home today, my betta was NOT in his bowl. It was like a bad dream; I couldn't find him/thought I was going crazy.
Finally I located his body drained of all its color on the floor.
Why would a fish leave his bowl??? Has this happened to anyone else? I am finding it difficult to cope with/understand. Is it possible a bug messed with him?
He was in a one gallon bowl with tiny heater and we have no pets other than fish. No children in the house. No foul play.
any enumerations please,
melissa and jacob

So sorry for your loss. It's so sad. I have heard of Bettas jumping out of their bowls. My two are pretty energetic so I can see how they could accidently get too exuberant and end up outside their tanks.

I've had fish jump out a tank lol, they were goldfish though, I had a lid on that half opened on a hinge so they could be fed, if I ever forgot to close the lid they'd be out.

I had them in my bedroom and the amount of times I'd be in bed and hear a plop on the floor, then have to get up in the dark and try to get to the light switch without standing on the fish.

I luckily always managed to find them before they died though. I don't know why they jump out though, like a mad dash for freedom or something lol

Yes they can jump this is why I use cd's on top of my bowls/jars when I use to keep them in bowls.

I lost a betta when he jumped out of his bowl, too. I didn't know they could jump! I came home from work and he was crispy. Now I keep a lid on my betta bowl.

i have a betta in a bowl as well. You need to keep the water level at least 1 inch to 2 inches below the rim of the bowl as this will prevent them from jumping out of their home. Ive never seen my betta attempt an escape from his current bowl but he makes regular attempts to escape his holding bowl while i change his water. Just keep the water level a little below the rim and these accidents can be avioded

Even if you keep the water levels below the rim they can jump. Got to keep something on the top.

keeping any fish in a bowl would make them unhappy enough to jump out of it. Not a good choice.

I've had 2 different fish jump out of my 5G, guessing because it's a small tank. They are very small fish though so I wouldn't think it would matter but I guess it does, all fish in swimming room.

2-3 weeks ago I had a ~3" ABN pleco jump out of my 100g tank. It has glass lids and HOB filters so there was still enough room for it to jump, unfortunately. It must have been there for some time because it was all dried up when I found it and it weighed very little. It ended up behind the tank and I didn't even know she was gone because I have 10+ of them in varying sizes in that tank. Sometimes they find a way to kill themselves no matter what kind of precautions you take to prevent it from happening.

Back
Top Bottom