Haze or debris in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betta4me

Aquarium Advice Activist
Happy Friday everyone!

Over the last month I've noticed a strange haze in my tank, from afar the water looks clear and beautiful but when I get close there is almost like this white haze or very tiny particle like debris. The tank currently houses the fish noted in my signature and below are my parameters and recent changes made to the tank. Let me know what you guys think it is and any suggestions to get rid of it would be extremely helpful.

Newest livestock additions: The two Kribs, 5 Cherry barbs

Parameters: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10-20 (closer to 20).

Recently added to tank: Two clay pots, one cichlid stone, four silk plants.

Filtration: Fluval 405, bottom basket one bag of Purigen, one bag of carbon (Purigen is a recent addition it used to have two bags of carbon), second & third baskets have Fluval bio rings, the fourth baskets has cheap filter floss (this is a recent addition, I used to have Fluval polishing pads).

Thanks in advance.

It's actually smaller than the Purigen beads and stays suspended through the water, but maybe I didn't wash it well enough to get all the dust out of the bag...?

i had a purigen leak in my tank a few months ago and the problem you are describing sounds similar and the tiny beads do stay suspended in the tank water. when i checked my filter i saw that the bag had split and half the purigen had spilled out. this appears to be quite common if you do a google for 'purigen bag leak'.

but it may not be what's happened in your case. it's just a best guess based on my experience. i'm sure some of the other forum members will be able to give more ideas.

Thanks, I appreciate the brain storming. I'm going to check it tonight when I get home, I'm sure it will be a process of elimination at this point.

Back
Top Bottom