Heavy duty cleaning needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my second tank from a friend a couple of weeks ago (a 44g corner tank) and I've started to clean it up and get ready to start my own tank from scratch. My question has to do with the thick scaly deposits/minerals that were left behind. It seems cleaning was neglected for quite some time.

I purchased some Python2 cleaner for empty tanks and Python Glass cleaner, but it just doesn't seem to be cutting it. I took everything apart and cleaned directly with a scrub sponge, cloth, bottle brush and got some of it off but there's a lot left that just won't come off. I also tried diluting the product with some water in a large laundry sink and letting everything soak with little success.

Today I bought a brush kit that includes one with plastic bristles and another with stainless steel bristles. I also bought a CLR type product and I'm wondering if it's ok to go with that. I expect it's a little more harsh than the Python stuff, but there won't be fish in this tank for quite some time and I would be rinsing it thoroughly. Is it ok to try something a little stronger in this case?

Vinigar works great. Just keep in mind that with Vinigar, bleach, CLR, you need to RINSE RINSE RINSE and RINSE again when you think you got it all out. Soap is the same way. Vinigar and a razor should do the trick, let it soak a bit.

i use oxiclean to degunk my carboys after fermenting ales.... no real scrubbing, just mix it and let it soak, stuff falls right off.

not sure about in a fish tank, but imagine it would be the same thing.

I used to use oxiclean on my HOB filters. Be sure that you rinse EXTRA well so there is no more slimy feel to it, to the point where it feels "squeaky" clean.

I am a big fan of vinegar and razor blades. I never have enough faith that I will be able to rinse out soapy residues.

Back
Top Bottom