Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bedo1234

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My goldfish keep getting sick and I'm not sure what to do!

Quick background...

I bought a 20 gallon fish tank on a whim back in June, then let my girlfriend pick out the fish at the store. She ended up choosing 5 goldfish. We went home and put the goldfish in the tank without going through the correct process of cycling the tank (I learned this after the fact).

Let me start by saying that I really regret how the goldfish were treated in the 6 weeks or so after I bought them, but I was a noob and didn't understand how to take care of them. I should have done some research before I bought them, but was excited to get started and just went for it.

I found out pretty quickly that I was overfeeding, and I had WAY too many fish for the size of the tank. I upgraded as quickly as I could to a 55 gallon tank, and cut down drastically on the flakes (although not drastically enough initially). Shortly after I upgraded to the 55 gal, I went out of town on a business trip for two weeks, then followed that up with another week of vacation. I suspect that the quality of the water was very bad when I got back, and I think that the fish may have gotten sick during this time.

Now here I am, about 8 months later, and I'm down to just 3 fish. 2 of them died last week (after a looong battle), and another looks very sick. I have quarantined the sick one in a 20 gallon tank, but he isn't getting better and I expect to lose him soon.

Now for my first question. Can the deaths be traced to the initial ill treatment, even though they have been in a better situation for 6 months or so? I test the water frequently with strips, and everything tests great. I do 20-30% water changes about once a week, also vacuuming about half of the gravel. I have some live plants in the tank too that have survived the entire time. The aquarium is 4ft long.

I have two cheap filters running, one aqueon and one tetra whisper. Both are rated for 55-70 gallon tanks. I change filters about once a month. I'm going to upgrade to a better filter when I can afford it, but from what I have been told these filters should do for now. I keep the temp around 68 degrees. Not sure what other info I should give. I have no idea what do do here, and I am very disappointed in myself because of all of this. I feel horrible that I am giving these fish a terrible life, and I really would like to turn it around. What should I do??

First off, what are the water parameters of the tank? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Second, stop changing the filter cartridges. The cartridges have most of the beneficial bacteria in the tank growing on them. When you throw those away it will create an ammonia / nitrite spike. The filters you have will work perfectly fine so there's no need to upgrade. Just stop getting rid of the bacteria :)

The strips that I use to test indicate that the ammonia, nitrates, and trites are at a safe level. I'm thinking about taking a water sample to my local fish store and having it tested, but to my amateur eye the water seems to be healthy.

How often should I change the cartridges?

Thank you for the reply!

The strips that I use to test indicate that the ammonia, nitrates, and trites are at a safe level. I'm thinking about taking a water sample to my local fish store and having it tested, but to my amateur eye the water seems to be healthy.

Thank you for the reply!
Define "safe" always give the actual numbers :)

As to changing the cartridge, they only need to be changed probably twice a year at most. Only change them when they are literally falling apart. Even then, don't change them all at the same time. Give it 2 or more weeks between changes.

Thank you for the reply!

I brought a sponge for a tetra whisper which has a sponge like material and floss on the other side for my Aqueon 55 / 75. All I did was cut them down to size and slide them into the tray floss facing out. I don't need carbon in my tank if I'm not medicating. Also they were only 8 bucks and my tank is clearer than it's ever been.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use strips similiar to these...

Amazon.com : Tetra 19543 EasyStrips 6-in-1 Test Strips, 100-Count : Aquarium Test Kits : Pet Supplies

So I don't know the exact numbers. Maybe that's part of my problem. Do you recommend a better way of testing?

The test strips are notoriously inaccurate. The best way to test is with liquid tests. Most on here use the API master test kit. You can find it at most pet stores and on Amazon.

Here are some useful articles:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

What kind of Goldfish are you keeping ?
Comets or Fancies ?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423394556.065328.jpg

Goldfish do a majority of rapid growth in their first year of life.

This thread has some great info
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Common/comets should be in Ponds. Fancies can be kept in tanks.
YouTube user Solid Gold has some very helpful vids.
http://youtu.be/aFD5qZ2xb7o

For now you need to keep the water pristine. I also recommend the API master test kit.

Fancies need to be fed carefully also.
No floating food.

Greens, veggies, sinking pellets, etc...

There are vids on making a DIY Canister filter or setting up a Sump.

Good luck ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom