Help Big difference in PH between LFS and new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased 3 angels to go in my 30 gallon (no other fish, but cycled). The LFS ph is 7.0 mine is 8.0. Should I do anything special to acclimatize the fish? I couldn't believe the difference between their water and mine.

Mine ph 8.0 KH - 300 GH- 25 NO2 0, NO3 40
Theirs: ph 7.0 KH-80 GH-300 NO2 0 NO3 20

My ammonia is zero, didn't test theirs. So these fish are floating in their bag right now - I have stuff to bring the PH down but I've heard that that is a loosing battle. Any advice??

Carolyn

I most wholeheartedly agree - slow acclimation is a must and they will probably be just fine in your alkaline water. I don't know if they will be able to hatch out any eggs in that water, but they'll do fine.

Kudos to you for testing your LFS water (rather than taking their word for it) and comparing beforehand. :D

Thanks all. I didn't touch the water, and just did a slow acclimatization. The angels look fine this morning. I may be able to solve my ph problem in the future, I'm adding plants and may do a DIY co2 system. I've read that this lowers ph substantially.

Carolyn :mrgreen:

The PH of your tank will come down naturally Carolyn. It's the result of waste being produced by your fish and the nitrifying bacteria established in your tank.

Your fish will be just fine in a PH of 8.

Back
Top Bottom