Help! Big surprise :S

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laur94x

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I desperately need some advice please,

So after getting rid of all of the fish (14 cichlids) from our 180(?) litre tank about 3 weeks ago due to needing to sell one of our 3 tanks I then got a shock today.

The tank has been left set up since with about 1/4 of the old water in the bottom and no filter or heater running because we hadn't had a chance to get rid of the tank yet. Today I suddenly noticed something in the tank moving and when I've looked properly I've spotted at least 6 fry hiding at the back of the tank!
Obviously we had no idea any of the fish had bred otherwise we wouldn't have got rid of them :S

What do we do? We want to try and help them to survive but neither of us have any experience in breeding fish. We have a spare tiny tank they could go in but there's no way we could catch them whilst they're this small. The tank they're currently in has a big external filter which is still currently turned off.

So advice please! :S what do they eat? What do we do about a filter? What temperature does the tank need to be for them? They're about 1/2 and inch in size at the moment I think, yellowy bodies and big eyes! Haha not even sure which fish they're from!

Thanks for any help. Laura

I'd try to catch them, put them in a small tank like a 2.5g or a 5g with a sponge filter and feed them flake food that is mashed up so small that it's powder.

If a net proves not to work so well try scooping them out with a cup.

Back
Top Bottom