Help! Goldfish Chasing another Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TurtleGirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. Three goldfish chasing the one. It is relentless. I checked for breeding stars but do not see any. This is a turtle tank so the temperature is at 75 and has been for months. Today though three of the four fish have ganged up on the one and will not quit chasing the poor fish. I removed the fish from tank and put in a small fish bowl, but not really wanting to keep separated. Anyone have any thoughts? 100 gallon tank, 4 feeder gold fish that the turtle has decided are friends, 12 tetra, 1 ghost fish, plants, rocks etc. :(

Sometimes I dont think there is a way to make fish adapt to eachother, did you add them all at the same time? Maybe you could just bring it back to the pet store or get him a buddy for his bowl.

thanks

They have all been together for a year. Not sure what is happening. Thought it might be breeding...

If they had been fine & now start chasing, it is likely breeding behavior. You gotta get some more females so the lone one won't be harassed all the time! :)

My goldfish chase each other constantly. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a non-stop thing in which case it sounds like you have one female and several males which would mean you have some bad ratios going on.

PLEASE do not keep a goldfish in a bowl!!!! They need at LEAST 20 gallons. Keeping it in a bowl is dooming it to die in its own ammonia in a weeks time. If it doesn't die from ammonia it will die a slow torture filled death. Yes fish 'grow to fit their environment' but only externally. Their internal organs continue to grow and they will eventually die from 'stunting.' If you cannot keep it in the tank find someone with a large tank or a pond to keep it it. You are torturing it keeping it alone in the bowl.

Back
Top Bottom