Help! I got a water softener. What do I do???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sirabi76

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I have an old foot long pleco, Levi, that I have had since 2014 (he was probably around 10 years old or so when I got him). He is in a 75 gallon tank by himself. I have always had really hard water, but I recently got a water softener. I also have RO water in the kitchen. I am not sure what type of water to use now for his tank. Also, I got a new faucet, so I can’t use my python anymore to clean the bottom. I need help! Can someone advise me on my options?????

Attachments

• 247AFE54-77FB-48A8-84D4-E9124357BEE9.jpg
    247AFE54-77FB-48A8-84D4-E9124357BEE9.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 19
How much of a difference are we talking about between your unsoftened water and what you get out of the tap now?

If you do small, regular, water changes then the hardness in the tank should change gradually and be less of a shock to the fish. Change say 5 to 10% of the water a day for a couple of weeks before returning to your normal water change schedule. If you need some hardness back in the water, some cuttlefish bone or crushed coral in your filter will add both general and carbonate hardness back to the water.

How much does another new faucet cost? Just get one compatible with your python. Probably cheaper and easier than trying to find a solution with your new faucet.

On a side note, being english ive never actually used the word faucet before.

My water was super hard before. I had to add prime and salt to keep it from killing him. I was reading that water softener water can be bad for tanks, so I wasn’t sure if i could use it. I picked out the faucet, and I am enjoying it, but I forgot to think about Levi when I did it.
Also, congrats on using the word faucet! lol
I am going to guess…tap???

I guess it depends on how much hardness your water softener is removing. Fish are very adaptable to varying water parameters, its sudden changes that are often harmful. If water is now coming out the tap with close to zero hardness you might want to put some back in, same as you would with RO water.

Been reading up a bit on water softeners. The answer seems to be, it depends.

Some water softeners replace calcium with sodium to soften the water, and this can be harmful to fish. You can also use potassium to replace calcium and thats less harmful. Some water softeners have a built in bypass. Does yours?

You may be better off with your RO water, and remineralise it what you require.

Back
Top Bottom