Help! low ph!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mindy2400

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need a little help here. I am a few weeks in to a new tank, doing a fish in cycle. I test my water at least 1x a day. This morning, the ph dropped to 6.0, with ammonia at .5ppm, which is exactly what it rests straight out of the tap. Nitrates and nitrites are 0. I'm the tank I have 2 Angel's, 1 rosy tetra, 2 black mollies, 2 platinum guppies, and 3 albino cory cats. There are maybe 12 live plants, and it is a 65 gallon tank. This ph level is bad, right? I have baking POWDER on hand. What should I do? I was told baking soda would help?

You do NOT want to start playing around trying to adjust the pH. A steady pH is MUCH more important than one that goes up & down depending on additives. If you bought your fish locally chances are they have been living in water with a pH similar to yours anyway. **Most** fish are extremely adaptable as long as things don't change from water change to water change.

One of my cory cats died... not sure why. I was in the middle of doing a partial water change a couple minutes ago, and found him?. Could this drop in ph be a sign that my cycling is almost complete?

How often are you doing water changes? How big?

You say you test daily, are the parameters you have noted typical? Have you seen nitrites and nitrates on any of your tests?

If your nitrites and nitrates have always been 0ppm then your cycle hasn't even started.

Are you using any biological booster like seachem stability?

What water conditioner are you using$

Your stocking is a little on the high side for a fish in cycle. With the information you have provided so far ammomia is the most likely cause.

A ph of 6.0 means your bacteria in your filter has stalled/stopped oxidizing ammonia. You need to get this up to 7.0-7.4 to get your filter moving with your bacteria. No baking power!!!! Baking soda of 1 teaspoon per 20-25 gallons of water will work temporarily as you must keep watching it. Crushed coral will work better. Only need 1 tablespoon per 200 gallon of water to keep your ph at 7-7.4 forever. Just put about 2 tablespoons in a small mesh bag and put it in your filter.

Last edited:
Aiken....doing water changes of about 10 to 15 gallons 1ax weekly, nitrates and nitrites are always 0, ammonia was usually .25, but is close to .5 now, but that is also what the tap water has been lately. I've been adding seachem prime... double dose every other day, and quickstart with water changes also, occasionally using Topfin biological cleaner.

I'll assume crushed coral can be found at big box pet store? I dont remember seeing it?
Yeah, well the problem is here is that you have to buy SO much, like 10 pounds minimum! Try eBay and buy a few ounces for a few bucks.

im pretty sure i misunderstood your advice.... baking soda is okay, but requires a lot of supervision....1 teaspoon per 10 gallons. i SHOULD go with crushed coral, and put 1-2 tablespoons in mesh bag inside the filter i have that hangs on the back of the tank? i just did a 10 gallon water change, 5 minutes ago. Should they all be okay until the crushed coral comes? Also, the only reason i am doing a fish in cycle is bc I had started with a 32 gallon, waited until the fish store employee said my tank had cycled, and after 2 months, I brought home another fish to add to the community. My ammonia spiked, and i was told i was overstocked for that tank.. that is when i went and got the 65 gallon tank. I brought home another fish a little while later, and he got sick. Pet store employee advised i treat entire tank with Pimafix. The next morning 90% of my tank was dead. I had to immediately refill the 32 gallon tank with fresh water, and move the survivors into the smaller tank again. I washed all the gravel in hot water, and all the decorations in the dishwasher without soap.... I let that tank sit 2 days, and moved everyone BACK to the 65 gallon. The only survivors were 2 large angel fish, and 1 rosy tetra. I did go buy 2 guppies and 2 mollies to try to make the tetra feel more comfortable with being in such a large tank and being the smallest one in there. He had stayed hidden for about a week, and adding a few more smaller fish has definitely help him. Anyway, it has been a rocky road. Any idea how long it will take to cycle this tank?

So the live plants in the tank are bad too?!?!?!? The link you sent me to said live plants will stall the cycle?
In a cycling fishless tank, yes. You want ammonia in a cycling tank. Plants will remove that process. Wait until your tank is cycled before adding live plants.

If you have fish... follow the fish in cycling....

Ive done fishless cycles with plants, lots of people have. They will take up some ammonia and nitrates but not enough to stop a cycle.

Back
Top Bottom