Help Me Stock My New 90G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blsnelling

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently working on setting up a new 90G tank. We currently have a 20G that's been up and running great for probably a year. We knew little to nothing about fish and have it seriously over stocked. Despite that fact, the fish and tank do amazingly well. As I set up this new tank, I'm researching and learning a lot more about bio load and fish compatibility. We will be keeping the 20G, so not all fish have to move. Please help me decide what to put in the new tank and what to add.

Here's what I'm looking for. I like color, variety, and quantity. The more the merrier, lol. Yes, I know there's a limit.

Here's what is currently in the 20G.
1 - 4" Angel, king of the tank
2 - 2.5" Pearl Gourami
2 - 2.5" Gold Gourami
1 - 3.5" Bala Shark
2 - Pictus 4" & 3"
2 - 1.5" Rainbow Sharks
3 - 2" Tiger Barbs
2 - 1" Cherry Barbs
2 - 1.5" Rosy Barbs
2 - 1" Gold Barbs
2 - 1.5" Electric Green Tetras
3 - 1.5" Platinum Albino Tetras
3 - 2" Danios

Yes, I now realize how overstocked that is. We knew that we were stocking ourselves into a larger tank, lol. Picture father and 14 year old daughter browsing the LFS on a regular basis:)

So, what should move? What would you add? I love Cichlids, but want a lot of fish. That has me looking at the dwarf Ram Cichlids. How could I make this work?

Tank specs:
90G - 48x18x24
Eheim 2217
Hydor 300W
48" bubble wand
2 Air Stones
1 1.5" gravel
Tank will be properly fishless cycled.

I stopped by the LFS on the way home from work this evening, and I'm more confused than ever. As much as I love those little German Blue Rams, at 2 1/2", they're just too small to be the centerpiece fish I'm looking for. Am I going to have to do a South American tank with no schoolers to get the size and color I'm looking for?

Not exactly, it just depends on what size, color and price you're looking for ;)

My advice is cut down the number of species of schooling fish (tetras, barbs, etc) and up the number of each school, pick 2-3 of your favorites and make a school of around 10 each.

I'd say rehome the pictus cats (need good sized groups and are very rambunctious) as well as the bala (known to pick scales off other fish and bully if I'm not mistaken.)

Some good *community* cichlids worth looking into are:
Cleithracara maronii (keyhole)
Guianacara geayi (bandit)
Laetacara thayeri
Mesonauta festivus (festivum)
Uaru ampithicodes (spelling on the species name is wrong lol can't remember the correct spelling)
Apistogramma sp.
Nannacara sp.
Laetacara sp.
Dicrossus sp.
Several cryptoheros sp.
amatitlania sp. "Honduran red point"

Those are just a few. Now most of those, minus the uaru, get to a max of 6". Most of the more peaceful cichlids from the new world are going to be smaller, with the exception of the 10" uaru, and the beast known as a chocolate cichlid (hypselecara temporalis) and a few others.

This is off of personal opinion, but I like Red Parrots (Red Parrot), also if you have an flat sided fish like discus or angles do not get a pleco (advanced warning). Plecos will more than likely kill flat sided fish by sticking to them. Good luck!

Last night I discovered a fabulous South American Cichlid, the Rotkeil Severum. I also like the Firemouth and Acaras Cichlids. Any advice recommendations on those?

What are your thoughts on the following?

1 male Rotkeil Severum
1 male Golden Severum
1 male Firemouth Cichlid
1 male Blue Acara
1 male Red Spotted Severum

5-6 Silver Dollars
10-12 Congo Tetras
10-12 Juli Cories

Last night I discovered a fabulous South American Cichlid, the Rotkeil Severum. I also like the Firemouth and Acaras Cichlids. Any advice recommendations on those?

I not sure but I think Severums can get fairly aggressive. I wouldn't advise them for a community tank. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The silver dollars are gonna be a bit much for a 90G. Also, if you're planning on a planted tank, forget it, severums will demolish plants. Severums are not aggressive, but are able to hold their own against certain aggressive cichlids (low end of the aggression scale, not like a parachromis or amphilophus species). I'm not a huge fan of severums (thanks to another member on this forum) but to each their own. I'd do a tank of eartheaters (geophagus, gymnogeophagus, satanoperca) and then have some smaller peaceful cichlids mixed in, like keyholes, laetacara, and bandits, and cupid (biotodoma cupido), with a large group of cories, and a group of bleeding heart tetras (or congos would work), with a school of hatchetfish as the top dweller. But thats just what I would do with it ;)

I believe the blue acara would fit into that mix too, not sure about a fire mouth, they tend to be a bit more aggressive, but geos would probably hold their own

An oscar and a syno the tank may look a little boring but the personalitys of the fish will more than make up for it.

re:

Just my 2 cents. I started with Cichlids, and now I have fallen in love with Rainbow fish. They have extremely awesome colors and can grow big in that sized tank. I have Boesemani in one of my tanks, and my other tank have some very cool varieties called Sepik Rainbows and Bleher Rainbows. My 55 gallon Cichlid tank is ok but nothing compared to schooling Rainbow fish with vibrant colors.

My first Cichlid! It's a beautiful little female Black Convict. She's only about 1 1/2" long.
01%20%282%29-M.jpg

Look at the beautiful colors in the fins!
01-M.jpg

Back
Top Bottom