HELP... My Silver Arowana Won't Eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenings

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help anyone? I put some live plants in my 55 gallon freshwater tank the other day and ever since, My silver arowana refuses to eat... I may have stressed him over the decorating part... there is slight ammonia in the tank which is starting to go down. I've done water changes like crazy, maybe three times over the past week or so to reduce the ammonia levels...

please advise asap... I don't want to lose my Arowana, she's grown a lot since i bought her and to lose her now would be heart breaking.

2 small oscars with him in the tank and some cleaner plecos. No other aggressive fish in there. I brought back my black convicts to the petstore yesterday for adoption.

I would say that the Ammonia and the stresses associated with it are more likely to have caused your arowana to go on a hunger strike than redecorating. You need to clear out the oscars and plecostomus immediately and keep doing water changes until your tank settles back down. It is overstocked with those fish, and even the arowana alone isn't going to fit in it forever. You'll have to invest in a much larger tank to continue housing these fish together safely.

hmm ammonia? is the tank cycled or did something die? substrate change?

i agree. imo 2 oscars alone is enough to put in a 55 gallon tank

yeah i am aware that my freshwater tank is a little overstocked as I have fish that will eventually outgrow the tank. I don't think i will be investing on a bigger tank, but I do want these fish to grow up to what my tank can handle, then either sell them or bring them back to the fish store... I want to convert my 55 gallon to a saltwater too when all the fish in there dies or are sold (whichever comes first)

Thanks, I thought it would be the ammonia... I will do the water changes. It may have been me cleaning my two canister filters... ooops. I read that it was bad to rinse out the media after I had already done it.

DO you think he will eat again when the water gets well? or will he die like this?

Back
Top Bottom