Help! Should I reseal used 55g with silicone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up a used 55g I bought @ a yard sale about 2 - 3 weeks ago and I've been putting off working on it because I don't want to strip old sealant off with a razor blade and recaulk it!! I don't seem to have patience enough for this. Do u think I could just put new silicone caulking over old or should I strip it first? Please help!! :)

Anyone know? Jetajockey,bruinsbro,Eco,library girl??? I asked my Hubby he said he knows nothing about it and I don't either have always bought my tanks new!

i got a 55 gal for nothing a few months back , which had a leak when it got half full , i cleaned it left it to dry then re-sealed it just going over the original sealant. been up and running for about 2-3 months with no problems.
hope this helps

I picked up a used 55g I bought @ a yard sale about 2 - 3 weeks ago and I've been putting off working on it because I don't want to strip old sealant off with a razor blade and recaulk it!! I don't seem to have patience enough for this. Do u think I could just put new silicone caulking over old or should I strip it first? Please help!! :)

I don't reseal any used tanks unless they are leaking or if the seals just look terrible.

Did they say it was leaking?

I had a writeup guide on buying used tanks, but it's not on my site anymore.

Basically look at the seals, they should look solid and not brittle.

Then leak test it overnight outside on the concrete so you can see if it is leaking any.

If you already know it leaks, then skip all that. You definitely need to strip all of the old silicone off before you apply the new stuff, new silicone will not adhere to old, at least not for long.

Another consideration... Make sure that it was used as an aquarium and not a reptile enclosure. I don't know what the seal looks like, but if it is chewed up or looks like it was stripped off about a third of the way up, while looking good at the top, it's a dead give away for a reptile tank.

jetajockey said:
I don't reseal any used tanks unless they are leaking or if the seals just look terrible.

Did they say it was leaking?

I had a writeup guide on buying used tanks, but it's not on my site anymore.

Basically look at the seals, they should look solid and not brittle.

Then leak test it overnight outside on the concrete so you can see if it is leaking any.

If you already know it leaks, then skip all that. You definitely need to strip all of the old silicone off before you apply the new stuff, new silicone will not adhere to old, at least not for long.

Your awesome jetajockey! Good idea I'll fill it up outside and see if it leaks overnight, BRILLIANT! The family that selling it said it had been their son's and he had gone away to college years ago and left it and they were tired of storing it in their garage! But they didn't know exactly how old it was they thought 10 yrs if not older, he got it when he was a kid! The seals still look and feel kinda rubbery not brittle! It's taken me soooooo long to get it cleaned out it's been a real pain in the Arse! Lol! The only problem is some of the seals have green algae stain and I can't get rid of that no matter how much I scrub and what I use! :)

my 29 gallon I just picked up off the side of the road, it had yucky wet gravel and decor and was about 1/3 full so I know it was recently used. I cleaned it and then set it on a stand outside and filled it with water to make sure it held. Now it is up and running with no problems.

I did picked up a 10 gallon once that leaked and I resealed over the old seal with no issues, I didn't have it set up for long though and eventually wound up using it for a hatchling corn snake :) . That being said, if I had a leak in anything larger than a 10 gallon, I think it would be best to strip and reseal. However, if you bought it from a yardsale I would test it, fill it with water, and if it doesn't leak then you are probably good to go.

Dale_I said:
Another consideration... Make sure that it was used as an aquarium and not a reptile enclosure. I don't know what the seal looks like, but if it is chewed up or looks like it was stripped off about a third of the way up, while looking good at the top, it's a dead give away for a reptile tank.

They said he used it for fish! :)

ashleynicole said:
my 29 gallon I just picked up off the side of the road, it had yucky wet gravel and decor and was about 1/3 full so I know it was recently used. I cleaned it and then set it on a stand outside and filled it with water to make sure it held. Now it is up and running with no problems.

I did picked up a 10 gallon once that leaked and I resealed over the old seal with no issues, I didn't have it set up for long though and eventually wound up using it for a hatchling corn snake :) . That being said, if I had a leak in anything larger than a 10 gallon, I think it would be best to strip and reseal. However, if you bought it from a yardsale I would test it, fill it with water, and if it doesn't leak then you are probably good to go.

Well yeah with it being a 55 g that would be a nightmare if it did leak!! Yeah this one had old yucky tried up nasty gravel in it too and hard water stains! I've literally spent hours cleaning it out! The only thing that really concerns me is on all my existing tanks the seals are all clear and this has more of a whitish color to it with some algae stains. Maybe the seals turn more of a white color after their somewhat aged? The oldest tank I have is 5 yrs. I guess to be safe I could just caulking over old?? :)

Never mind I just read where Jetajockey said not to seal over old seal cuz it won't adhere!! Thx everyone for the help!! :)

I would strip the old silicone if it does need resealing. I was looking at this myself and every thing I read insists on removing old seals completely, maybe just a liability thing from the silicone manufacture. But better safe than sorry 55g is a lot of water to clean up off the floor

Dale_I said:
Could it have been used for saltvwater?

I doubt it was, considering it had the ugliest multi colored mardi gra looking gravel I've ever seen! Lol! I thought salt water tanks have sand! :)

Tigroscr said:
I doubt it was, considering it had the ugliest multi colored mardi gra looking gravel I've ever seen! Lol! I thought salt water tanks have sand! :)

Or some kinda coral substrate? I don't think I've ever seen a saltwater tank with this kinda gravel! Did I mention it was hideous!! Oh Yeah I did!, lol!

Back
Top Bottom