help - white noise making my mood black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forgot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I put together a 29gal setup. I've been doing fishless cycling for many months. The trouble is the noise. I got a hanging bio wheel filter setup, because everyone said that it was best. But, the noise of it drives me crazy. I think part of the trouble is that the room's walls are angled and the sound has an echoing effect. I get tired of the noise, turn off the filter for awhile, and lose ground on the cycle.

Can anyone recommend a super-duper quiet filter setup?

Or are there fish that can survive/thrive without a filter setup? I know I wouldn't be able to do water changes more than once a week. Are there any types of fish that would be happy in an environment like that? Goldfish, bettas?

thanks!

i have a neptune power filter and it doesn't make a sound. but i cheat and fill the water level all the way up to the filter so that the water doesn't make noise splashing into the tank. plus it was only $15! yours might cost more since my tank is only a 10gal though. hope this helps! :D

I assume a white noise generator is NOT on your Xmas list. :wink:

If you're willing to give it a try, you will most likely get used to the noise as your brain learns to block it out. I have a HOB, an air pump, a large HEPA air purifier, and a fan-driven humidifier running in my bedroom. I also live in a congested urban area. Amazingly, I really don't notice all this background noise anymore.

You could try filling the tank more, so the water doesn't splash. Also, you could tru attaching a piece of aquarium filter foam to the HOB return, so the water runs down it, instead of splashing.

As for fish that can survive without a filter: bettas can IF you are religious about water changes every two-three days. Goldfish are one of the the worst fish to keep in an unfiltered tank because they generate so much waste.

get tired of the noise, turn off the filter for awhile, and lose ground on the cycle.
What is your ammonia source?

I have found that bio wheels are noisy at first, but once the bacteria grow on them, they quiet down. If you keep the water level as high as the return, there will be no spashing. I have a bio wheel filter in the bedroom and it is quiet :D

Try puting a sponge or some filter floss at the output of the filter. The water will slowly run downs the sides making it really quite :)

I suggest, like others above, to raise your water level up. When I first got my penguin filter I had the same problem, the wheel spins so fast and makes a loud splashing noise. After my friend said just fill the tank up more it was much much quieter. I raised my water level up to slightly below the hood rest. And now that the biowheel is discolored and slowed down I barely hear the sound at all :)

I agree totally that the bio-wheels won't make much noise once they are full of bacteria, and as long as you keep your water level up the splashing is minimal.

You can get a small canister filter, if you really can't stand it, and mount the return spray bar underneath the surface of the water so there is no water falling anywhere to make a sound. Eheim filters are the quietest ones I know of. I have to put a hand on mine when I'm under the cabinet to make sure it is on - can't hear a thing!

In the future, for a larger aquarium, you could use a sponge filter driven by a powerhead. This would be totally silent.

Of course, at this point you will begin to notice the quiet hmmmmmmmmm of your light strip. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try filling it up more, since that is the cheapest option. :) But, I'll try others if that fails.

I deliberately drilled my homemade above tank wet/dry in such a way to make a nice soothing trickle sound... Puts me to sleep when I sit in the lounge tho...

Back
Top Bottom