Help with gender :P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently acquired a dwarf gourami and a three spot gourami (both in different tanks as I've read that dwarf gouramis don't like other gourami species). I'd like to see if i could get some help determining gender here. I believe the Dwarf is male and three spot is Female. I've read that with Three Spots, you can look at the dorsal and anal fins and if rounded, it indicates female. My three spot seems to have these, so I'd just like to get a more enlightened opinion.

About the dwarf gourami, I've received differing opinions. My dwarf is quite colorful (and ridiculously energetic, swimming and frolicking about with the guppy and molly males I have him with), and I've read that females tend to be more pale. I have gotten conflicting info on different sites that say females can be just as colorful and the only way to tell is, again, the dorsal and anal fins. The dwarf gourami I have does indeed have the rounded fins. Any help greatly appreciated!:cool:

LFSs rarely ever sell female DGs. They are silver if I remember. So I'd bet you have a male.

3 Spots, just remember sometimes males will "trim" fins on other males. Mature males have very pointed fins.

Your 3 Spot looks very young and a bit thin ? Try frozen food to perk her (?) up. It's hard to tell sex till they get a little size on them AFAIK.

Back
Top Bottom